Marriage and Money. Jim Sutherland, RMNI.org, Jim@rmni.org. Expectations. Life after the fall of Adam and Eve is not easy, especially if the Trinity is not in our life.
Jim Sutherland, RMNI.org, Jim@rmni.org
Avoid debt and save
Take a day or weekend with your spouse to pray over and plan for longterm goals.
1 http://ssa.gov answer ID 418 2http://ssa.gov answer ID 310, accessed 9/7/06)
2 http://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/colafacts.htm accessed 5/25/12
1 Dean O. Webb, “Don’t delay, start saving today,” Christian Financial Concepts, Money Matters, 10/99, p. 3
1. Pray for wisdom (James 1:5) and for self-control (Galatians 5:23). Habitual overspending is a spiritual issue.
2. BEFORE spending, plan MONTHLY expenses and LONG TERM GOALS (greater than 1 year, requiring savings).
3. Record DAILY expenses in a columnar ledger or software program—keep a running total in each expense category (using the ledger or on the outside of a cash envelope).
4. At month’s end, TOTAL expenses in each category and compare with target figures, and adjust for next month, if needed.
5. Compare ALL expenses and with ALL
6. Move any surplus to savings, earmarking it for a particular need.
7. Deduct any shortfall from your next pay before spending it.
Getting and keeping our house in order
1. Giving little or nothing. Among born-again Americans, 24% gave nothing to churches in 20071.
2. Inadequate giving--giving less than 10%. Only 24% of evangelicals (the 7% most strongly committed Christians) tithed in 20072.
3. Obedient giving. Giving a tithe.
4. Giving beyond obedience--beyond the tithe.
1,2 George Barna, “New Study Shows Trends in Tithing and Donating,” http://www.barna.org/barna-update/article/18-congregations/41-new-study-shows-trends-in-tithing-and-donating April 14, 2008, accessed 2/3/10
5. Giving generously, being “willing to share”
1 Timothy 6:18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.
6. Surpassing generosity. Giving out of God’s bounty, becoming a conduit of His blessing
2 Cor. 9:11 You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.