Bellwork. Write the electron configurations for magnesium and chlorine. How many electrons do these elements have in their highest energy level?. Valence electrons are the electrons in the highest occupied energy level of an atom.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
The number of valence electrons largely determines the chemical properties of an element.
See supercool handout
Classwork- Draw dot structures for the following elements and write which energy level the valence electrons are found in.
1. Hydrogen 2. Helium 3. Sodium 4. Magnesium 5. Aluminum 6. Silicon 7. Phosphorous 8. Oxygen 9. Flourine 10. Sulfur 11. Chlorine 12. Krypton 13. Iodine 14. Arsenic 15. Calcium 16. Tin 17. Xenon
1. Draw the structure for the neutral atom.
Example for Cl-
2. Add or subtract electrons depending on the ions charge. add an electron for each negative charge
subtract an electron for each positive charge
3. Place your structure in [brackets] and label the charge.
Draw dot structures for the following ions
18. H- 19. H+ 20. Na+ 21. Be2+
22. Al3+ 23. Li+ 24. Ca2+ 25. O2-
26. F- 10. S2- 27. Cl- 28. I-
30. Why don’t noble gases form ions?