Thomas Rosenthal:. Thomas Rosenthal:. New York State AHEC System. Community partnerships placing health professionals where they are needed most. Mission.
“…to enhance the quality of and access to health care, improve health care outcomes and address health workforce needs of medically underserved communities and populations by establishing partnerships between the institutions that train health professionals and the communities that need them the most.”
New York = 42nd State AHEC system in US.
The new model for community driven health service planning through participation in education.
1) Create a dynamic statewide needs-based Area Health Education Center system.
2) Improve the training, recruitment and distribution of health professionals working in New York’s medically underserved communities.
3) Strengthen the professional environment to increase retention and improve the effectiveness of health professionals in New York’s medically underserved areas.
1) Developing opportunities and arranging placements for future health professionals to receive their clinical training
2) Encouraging local youth, especially those from underrepresented and disadvantaged backgrounds, to pursue health careers
3) Providing continuing education and professional support to health practitioners enhancing their skills in those communities
Covering all of NY.
Impact of Family Medicine Residency Training Location on Eventual Practice Location.
Rosenthal TC, Danzo A. Rural-based graduate medical education: An issue whose time has come. Journal of Rural Health. 2000;16:196-7.
Students need to have experience with career and employment options, an appreciation for their own interests and aptitudes, and a feeling they can make a difference in the best matched setting. They get this during training.