Adaptive or Functional morphology - Autecology. What is the origin of our morphologies or how do structures work.
What is the origin of our morphologies or how do structures work
(1) God’s luck: Divine designer
(2) B. G. Cuvier: the founder of
(law of correlation parts)
between an organism and the environment or it is the fitness of an organism to its environment
1) the genome; 2) the development of body plan (isometric growth vs. allometric growth)
(extreme in advanced
discrete size classes
3) the function of the organism; 4) the organism’s behaviour
1. Experimental palaeoautecology
2. Computer simulation
Each structure has to be describe.
Described structures are compered one to another and to the environment.
Height > Width
n < 4 n = 6 – 10 n > 10
Growth line Costa
Does evolution always go from small to large? Cope’s law
How long does it take for large size to evolve?
What is better: to be giant or to be dwarf?
Triassic (Norian) – Prosauropodi (Plateosurus), 5m = body length
Liassic – Melanosaurus
12 m = length,
weight = 10 t
A juvenile of a derived organism resembles an adult of the ancestor. Ancestor