REPUBLIC OF ALBANIA PUBLIC PROCUREMENT AGENCY. Reforms in the Albanian Public Procurement System www.app.gov.al. Public Procurement system in Albania.
Reforms in the Albanian Public Procurement System
a) to promote efficiency and efficacy in public procurement procedures carried on by contracting authorities;
b) to ensure a better use of public funds and reduce procedural costs;
c) to encourage economic operators to participate in public procurement procedures;
d) to promote competition among economic operators;
e) to guarantee an equal and non-discriminatory treatment for all economic operators participating in public procurement procedures;
f) to guarantee integrity, public trust and transparency in public procurement procedures.
All these objectives are intended to respect the public procurement procedures in accordance with the law and the requirements of the Stabilization and Association Agreement.
The current institutions in Albania, which deal with the supervision of the public procurement system are:
Agency of Public Procurement
- monitors the execution of the public procurement procedures
- submits proposals for procurement regulations to the Council of Ministers;
- promotes and organizes training of central and local government officials engaged in public procurement activities;
- edits and issues a Public Procurement Bulletin, as described in the procurement regulations;
- prepares standard tender documents to be used in awarding procedures, in accordance with the public procurement rules;
- plans and coordinates foreign technical assistance to Albania in the field of PP;
- on request, gives advice and provides technical assistance to CA, when launching and conducting awarding procedures;
- in case of misconduct, in compliance with article 72 of the PPL, penalizes with fines or proposes to the head of contracting authorities or higher bodies disciplinary measures against the individual in the contracting authorities who committed the infringement.
Commission of Public Procurement
Advocate of Public Procurement
- Defends the rights and the legal interests of the economic operators
- Monitors the procedures against irregular and illegal actions or lack of actions, caused by the CA, as provided in Articles 69 and 70 PPL.
- Public Procurement procedures in the utilities sectors of service, water, energy, transport and postal services.
- Framework Agreements
- Commission of Public Procurement (CPP), a newly formed institution which will treat all the complaints on public procurement procedures, which formerly were handled by PPA.
a) with negotiations, without prior publication of the contract notice;
b) small value procedures.
The e-procurement system ensures:
- confidentiality of the tender offers
- only authorized personnel can set or changed deadlines of offers
- The access in tender offers can be done only by authorized personnel, through synchronized actions.
- The system automatically generates a summary report, which includes all the phases of a tender procedure
The e-procurement is a step toward the improvement of transparency and fight against the corruption. It provides:
1. Higher transparency
2. Avoidance of corruption
This system ensures lower corruption, because E.O are not in contact with each other and also lowers their possibility to contact with CA-s personnel.
3. Costs reduction
E-procurement lowers the costs of realizing tender procedures, because it eliminates the paper form, all the relevant paper documents and the bureaucracies that exist with the paper form procurement system.
According to statistic data, the cost of tender procedures has lowered around 15% for year 2009.
4. Higher competition (from 2 E.O participating to 7 E.O)
The system of e-procurement has highly increased the competition among E.O and this is noticed in the growth of the E.O participating in tender procedures.
5. Other advantages
- It saves public funds, due to increased competition. Public procurement, through technology of information, is more easy because the procedures are simplified.
- It increases the rate of responsibility, so the money of the Albanian taxpayers are used more effectively.
- As a result of higher transparency and competition, goods, services and works with better price and quality are obtained.
- The system of e-procurement enables the business sector to cooperate and communicate easily with the CA-s.
The number of the e-procurement users in year 2009 is:
Although the so far achievements and progress in the public procurement field, there are still priorities and goals to work for in the future, like:
- particularly in the utilities sectors
- enhancement of an independent review system,
which are two new sectors in the procurement field.
Prepared by: Denisa Gugu