Baroque Period 1600-1750. A time for powdered wigs, make-up, fancy clothes and furniture. Doctrine of Affections. A document that said every form of art causes us to feel a single powerful emotion as a result of seeing or hearing a work.
A time for powdered wigs, make-up, fancy clothes and furniture.
1. Church (Sacred) Music
2. Dance Music
Dance music can have several movements for each type of dance
Allemandeis a slow dance
Gigue, pronounced “jig” is a fast dance
3. A concerto is a solo instrument or voice accompanied by an ensemble such as an orchestra.
4. An oratorio is a choral work with an orchestra. It is similar to an opera but not acted out with costumes and props. Many times the lyrics are religious or an actual story from the bible.
Can be many hours long.
5. A piece of music composed for a small ensemble, like a
quartet (4), trio (3) or duet (2).
6. A cantata is a church song/hymn.
7. A fugue is a complex work, where a subject is heard, and is fought by a counter-subject. It also can be thought of as a “follow the leader” or a “complex round”.