Warm-up. Did we keep the Articles of Confederation? Why or why not? Did we create a strong central government? Why? What powers does the central government have?
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
*Virginia Plan – Representation based on population
*Bicameral -- 2 house legislative branch
* “Big State Plan” – unfair to small states
* New Jersey Plan – Equal representation
* Unicameral – 1 house legislative branch
* “Small State Plan” – unfair to large population states
*3/5 Compromise – of every 5 slaves, three counted toward population
What would the free states have wanted?
What would the slave states have wanted?
*Electoral College – our method for electing a president
June 21, 1788 – Constitution is officially adopted
*NY, VA, RI, NC adopt because they have no choice!
Will not be added until 1796
Freedom of Religion, Assembly, Press, Petition, Speech
2. Right to Bear Arms
3. No Quartering of Soldiers
4. No illegal Search and Seizure
5. No Double Jeopardy, Self Incrimination, Eminent Domain, etc…
6. Speedy Public Trial, Lawyer
7. Trial by Jury
8. No Cruel/Unusual Punishment or Excessive Bail or Fines
9. Constitution is not a limited document
10. Reserved PowersThe Bill of Rights (1791) – Washington’s Major Accomplishment
Picture courtesy of www.damchicago.com
Believed that there are 3 types of gov’t:
Republic (democratic or aristocratic), Monarchy, and Despotism (dictator)
That is order to have the best gov’t, power should be separated within gov’tBack to philosophy
Each branch has powers to check,or limit, the powers of the other 2 branches
Think of 3-5 things you would add, remove, or change in the U.S. Constitution. Nothing needs to be turned in yet, just reflect on what you think needs to be addressed and come in tomorrow with some ideas.