DBQ - Grouping and Thesis Statements. AP WORLD HISTORY. Grouping. At Least 3 groups in each DBQ Do NOT just use the generic “Pro”, “Anti”, “Neutral” groupings.
AP WORLD HISTORY
“Throughout history, colonization has been a main concern of many nations. In the 1880s, there was a great desire by European powers to colonize and control Africa in order to gain resources. This became known as the Scramble for Africa. The hypocritical actions of the European powers led to an extreme contempt for the Europeans among the African people, which triggered violent rebellions that eventually helped lead Africa to liberty later on.”
“For years after the Berlin Conference, various European powers raced to occupy and colonize land in Africa. It was a time of growth for Europe, but what was it for Africa? Africa’s fate was being decided for it by the European invader. Not all Africans just stood by and watched, however. There was a wide range of actions and reactions to the Scramble for Africa from the Africans themselves, from giving in peacefully to fighting back with all of their might.”
“Although the European powers felt as though they were doing great good in the African continent during the Scramble for Africa, the actions of the Africans was that of rebellion and reactions showing much determination to rid Africa of the unjust Europeans.”
Point of View
1) Using the documents, analyze the patterns of trade in the period 1000–1450.In addition, identify possible cultural consequences of trade in this time period.
2) Using the documents, assess the level of cultural development of the Aztec and the Inca.
3) Religions of common geographic origins tend to differ from those that originate in other areas of the world. How do religions having common geographic origins tend to share somewhat common codes of behavior and views of the nature and reason for existence?
4) Using the documents, compare and contrast the philosophy and outlook of Confucianism and Neo-Confucianism and their ramifications for China. Was the change a reaction to the Daoists and Buddhists or simply a growing lack of confidence in Confucianism during a time of hardship?
5) Based on the documents, discuss human relationships with the environment. Evaluate whether it is more important for a developing civilization (or nation) to conserve and protect its resources, or fully develop them. Decide what the consequences of each decision would be.