Quantum Dots – a peep in to Synthesis Routes. Saurabh Madaan Graduate student, Materials Science and Engineering, University of Pennsylvania. Layout. Brief introduction Synthesis routes – an overview. First Vision of Quantum Dot device.
Materials Science and Engineering,
University of Pennsylvania
Arakawa, Sakaki… > Efroz, Brus >Bawendi & Alivisatos…
PHYSICAL REVIEW B 54 (12): 8743-8750 SEP 15 1996
- No edge effects, perfect Xtal structure
- Qdot lasers, single photon generation, detection
- Annealing leads to blue shift
Murray, Kagan, Bawendi
Fig: a) synthesize NCs by high T solution-phase route, b) narrow size dist by size selective ppt, c) deposit NC dispersions that self-assemble, d) form ordered NC assemblies (superlattices).
1. Nucleation and Growth:
2. Isolation and purification:anyhdrous methanol > flocculate > drying
3. Size-selective precipitation: solvent/non-solvent pairs eg. Pyridine/hexane
More steric hinderance?
Layer of high band-gap SC, higher quantum efficiency
Colors from the Bawendi Lab @ MIT