EDUCATION WGhttp://eicu.tp.edu.sg/apan-edu/ Fukuoka, JP (23 January 2003) Co-Chairs: Tan Hock Soon (TP/SG) An Jie (CERNET/CN)
Agenda • Confirmation of minutes of Shanghai meeting • Report on Fukuoka Edu Track • Country/Economy Updates • TW: Dr. Chui-Sing YANG • MY: Dr. Rozhan IDRUS • Discussion of APRUnet Activities • APRUNet Meeting • Collaboration • WG Focus Area • Deliberation of eLearning Specs Proposal • AOB
1. Confirmation of minutes • Amendments? NO objections
2. Rpt on Fukuoka Edu Track • Edu Track • 4 in Edu 1 (DE tools) • 3 out of 4 presentations on DE tools in advanced networks feature the use of video technology enablers • The session management presentation also has a video component • Trend and interest in this area • 3 in Edu 2 (DE frameworks) • 2 out of 3 presentations on Advanced DE frameworks feature frameworks utilizing video presentation as part of the system. Again video technology features heavily • 1 presentation on using Grid Architecture in eLearning. Mapping of elements in eLearning to Grid architecture is logical and is an interesting development to look out for.
2. Rpt on Fukuoka Edu Track (cont’d) • 4 in Edu 3 (collaboration) • Importance of eLearning specifications in collaboration • Collaborations & partnerships in APRUNet • eLearning status & future developments in Japan and China • Overall Comments • Video technology, issues in the development of different tools, in implementation is an important area in education in advanced network. This suggests a closer tie up with, and collaboration with the multi-media and video WGs (can An Jie attend this meeting?).
2. Rpt on Fukuoka Edu Track (cont’d) • Joint NR-Edu Session • 3 speakers • 1 from remote (Dr Zhihong Li) • Action Items • Discuss with Multimedia WG as to possibility of joint session next meeting • Continue joint session with NR
3. Country/Economy Reports • TW: Dr. Chui-Sing YANG • MY: Dr. Rozhan IDRUS • Others
4. Discussion on APRUNet Activities • APRUNet Meeting • Distance Education Projects (looking for collaborators) • East Asian Studies Videoconferencing • Early Tibet Archaeology • Global Infectious Disease Research • Distance Learning Partnership Projects • Activities in APAN Education WG (Education WG) • Certified Site Coordinator Training Workshop • http://commons.internet2.edu/ • First time in Asia Pacific DLI 2003 in Singapore in 2-4 April 03 • Workshop is 5 April 03 • To attend, email email@example.com
4. Discussion on APRUNet Activities (cont’d) • Collaborations • Agreement to co-locate next APRUNet meetings with APAN • Workshop/Collaboration for next meeting?
5. WG Focus Area • Wrt last minutes dated Aug 27, 02 • Themes identified: • ·Innovative DL/DE Programmes on Advanced Network (Yes) • ·Specifications in eLearning (Yes, not many) • ·New Learning Technology (Yes) • ·Issues/Problems in DL/DE (No, have this session in Busan) • Combined Sessions (Yes) • Comments: • Technology content: tools and applications. Video appears to be one application that advanced network is using heavily.
6. Deliberation of eLearning Spec proposals • Passed. Invite NIE for workshop in next APAN meeting. • Experiment using WG documents.
Contacts For More Information Tan Hock Soon: firstname.lastname@example.org An Jie: email@example.com Mailing List: firstname.lastname@example.org Websites: http://eicu.tp.edu.sg/apan-edu/ http://apan.net Chatroom: http://eicu.tp.edu.sg/cvdchatroom/