RACE TO THE GOVERNOR’S HOUSE #5. 1)During the period of __________ after the Civil War, Virginia faced many problems. Reconstruction. 2)What did Congress create to help newly freed slaves after the Civil War because they needed food, schools, and medical care?. Freedmen’s Bureau.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1)During the period of __________ after the Civil War, Virginia faced many problems.
2)What did Congress create to help newly freed slaves after the Civil War because they needed food, schools, and medical care?
3) This system developed because plantation owners lacked money to pay for workers, and freedmen and poor white farmers needed land and work.
1) Money had no value.2) Banks were closed.3) Railroads, bridges, plantations, and crops were destroyed.
5)After the Civil War, people moved from rural to _____ areas, seeking economic opportunities.
6)The practice of _____, or separating people by race or religion, had a significant impact on life in Virginia in the 20th century.
7) In the 1954 case of Brown v. Board of Education, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that “separate but equal” public schools were ___________.
8)Who was the first African American woman in the U.S. to establish a bank and become bank president?
9) Under the Jim Crow laws, African-Americans were forced to use separate, poor-quality facilities and services such as _______________, ____________, and ________________.
10) “Jim Crow” laws led to the use of unfair ________ ________ and _____ _______ which were established to keep African American men from voting.
11) During the period of Reconstruction, African-Americans began to have power in Virginia’s ______ and men of all races could vote.
12) After Reconstruction, gains made by African Americans were lost when _______ ________ ________ were passed by southern states. These laws discriminated against African-Americans and American Indians by establishing segregation.
13)During the time of “Jim Crow” laws, African Americans found it very difficult to ____ or hold_______ _______.
14) During the 20th and 21st centuries, Virginia changed from a _____, agricultural society to a more _____, industrial society.
15)After Reconstruction, Virginia’s cities began to _____ with people, businesses, and factories.
16)Name two reasons why agriculture began to change in Virginia during the early 20th century.
Old systems of farming were no longer effective2. Crop prices were too low
17) _____________ were a key to the expansion of business, agriculture, and industry. They facilitated the growth of small towns into cities.
18) Name three technological developments in transportation that helped cities to grow after Reconstruction and helped expand business, agriculture, and industry.
19) _____ was discovered in Tazewell county and boosted Virginia’s economic growth.
20) Who was the first African-American governor in the United States? (He was governor for Virginia.)
21) Who was known for the “pay-as-you-go” policy for road improvements?
22) Who was the first African-American winner of a major men’s tennis championship? He was also an author and spokesperson for social change.
23) Who led the Massive Resistance Movement against integration of public schools in Virginia?
24) ___________ farming and the manufacture of __________ products became important Virginia industries, particularly in the Piedmont region.