LPN-C. Unit One Legal Aspects of IV Therapy. Scope of Practice R/T IV Therapy. LPN-C = An LPN who has had additional education and has passed an examination to obtain certification in an advanced role permitting him/her to provide limited services in intravenous therapy.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Legal Aspects of IV Therapy
IV administration by the LPN-C of approved medications by approved methods shall be those for which nursing interventions are routine and predictable in nature related to individual responses and adverse reactions.
The RN must consider:
The LPN must demonstrate the ability to:
Study the professional and legal implications of expanded practice and accountability
Undertake study relating to IV therapy, obtaining knowledge, skills, and evidence for practice
Undergo a period of supervision from faculty who is experienced in IV therapy
2. Circulatory anatomy and physiology
3. Fluid and electrolyte balance
4. Techniques and equipment used for IV therapy administration
6. Administration of fluids
7. Risk management relating to IV therapy
8. Possible effects of treatment on the patient physically, socially, and psychologically
1. Read the label of the medication as it is removed from the shelf, unit dose cart, refrigerator, or dispensing system
2. Read the label of the medication when comparing it with the MAR
3. Read the medication label again before administering the medication to the patient
Code of Ethics