Small Engine Parts Four-Cycle. By Katie Murray, UGA Agriculture Education Edited by Georgia Agriculture Education Curriculum Office May 2006. 1. Crankcase. Engine Block. 2. Cylinder Block. 1. Crankcase. Crankcase Cover. Cylinder Block. 1. Cylinder Bore. Head gasket goes here.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
By Katie Murray, UGA Agriculture Education
Edited by Georgia Agriculture Education Curriculum Office
2. Cylinder Block
1. Cylinder Bore
Head gasket goes here
3. Cooling Fins
Crankshaft-converts the linear motion of the piston into rotary motion.
Counterweights-balances the forces of the reciprocating piston and reduces the load on crankshaft bearing journals.
Crankgear-interlocks with the cam gear to turn the crankshaft
Crankpin Journal-attaches the connecting rod to the crankshaft
Piston Pin Bore
1. Compression Ring-seals the combustion chamber from any leakage during the combustion process.
2. Wiper Ring- used to further seal the combustion chamber and to wipe the cylinder wall clean of excess oil.
3. Oil Ring-Wipes excess oil from the cylinder wall during piston movement. Openings in the ring returns the excess oil to the engine block.
Crankpin Journal Bearing Surface
Piston pin Bearing Surface
Valve Tappets-Rides on the camshaft and pushes the bottom of the valve stem to open the valve
1. Cam Gear-portion of the camshaft that interlocks with the crankgear.
2. Cam Lobes- egg-shaped protrusion on the camshaft that moves a tappet to open a valve; controls the lift and duration of the opening and closing of the valves
Spark Plug Wire
Carburetor- provides the proper mixture of air and fuel to the intake valve