Narrative Text . . .
What does it say?
How does the text say it?
Find examples of figurative language:
(metaphor/simile, descriptive language, symbolism)
Summary of chapter/how did the story advance?
This is your summary
This is the author’s craft & structure
- The gist/central idea
- Specific evidence to support
- Ideas in order of importance
- Obvious/logical inferences
- Most important ideas/events
- What genre does the selection represent?
- Whose voice did the author choose as the narrator?
- What are the style, mood and tone?
- What word choice, imagery and figures of speech (simile, metaphor, alliteration, irony, repetition, personification) does the author use?
What does it mean?
So . . . What does it mean to me?
Make a connection (to a book/movie, your life, current events)
Consider: shifts in character, conflict, dialogue
This is where you make a connection to your life
This is the claim; the author’s intent
- Text Self:
- What does this remind me of in my life?
- How is this different from my life?
- How does this relate to my life?
- What were my feelings when I read this?
- What is the theme/central idea?
- How is the theme/central idea supported with ideas & details?
- How does the author use language: dialect, variant spellings, archaic words, formal/informal words to shape the tone and meaning of the piece?
- How does the author use point of view, style, mood, tone, text features, imagery, figures of speech (simile, metaphor, alliteration, irony, repetition, onomatopoeia, personification) and the lead, to achieve his/her purpose (author’s intent)?
- Text Text:
- How is the text similar to other things I’ve read/watched?
- Have I read something like this before?
- Text World:
- What does this remind me of in the real world?
- How does this relate to the world around me?
- How is this similar/different to things that have happened
- around me?
Reading Strategy: Close and Critical Reading
Bookmarks can be found at: http://missionliteracy.com/page68/assets/Close%20and%Critical%Reading%20bookmarks%20June%202010.pdf