Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Festa Junina: A Brazilian Festivity Portuguese HL Teachers’ Project 2014 STARTALK/NHLRC - HL Teacher Workshop UCLA, CA - July 23-27, 2014 Cristina Costa Francisco da Silva Luciane Maimone Maria McGrath Christina Zubelli
What are the FestasJuninas? The FestasJuninas are traditional June celebrations brought to Brazil by the Portuguese. While originally they were mostly religious in nature, nowadays these festivities include peasant costume-wearing, folk dancing, drinking, bonfire jumping, fireworks, and typical foods. Video: [2:28], http://youtu.be/dPowJwfvMp4
Outline 1. Unit overview 2. Defining the student population 3. National standards applied to HL teaching 4. Objectives: Cultural, Functional and Linguistic 5. Materials and equipment 6. Assessment 7. Three lesson plans (Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3) 8. Conclusions
1. Unit overview While one may find some FestasJuninas in the US, some HLLs might not have access to them, thus missing a rich part of Brazilian culture as well as vocabulary exposure. The fun aspect of the FestasJuninas make them appealing to all.
2. Defining the student population (a) This class has ten 18-year old HL students with the following characteristics: (b) ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines: Intermediate
3. National standards applied to HL teaching The Lesson Plans try to be standard-based as much as possible: (a) The ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines (b) The National Standards (the 5 C's): Communication, Cultures, Connections, Comparisons, Communities (c) The Four Skills: Reading, Writing, Speaking, Listening (d) The Three Modes of Communication: Interpersonal, Interpretive, Presentational
4. Objectives: Cultural, Functional and Linguistic At the end of this unit students will be able to: Cultural and Functional: - Have an understanding of the different components of the FestaJunina - Be able to prepare a typical dish. • Linguistic: • Use new vocabulary (nouns) related to the FestaJunina • - Communicate using correct gender and number agreement
5. Materials and equipment Handout with authentic text Laptop and projector to watch a short video Handout with homework Kitchen provided by the school Food ingredients provided by the school
6. Assessment Formative assessment will be performed after each activity. 7. Three lesson plans (Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3)
Handout for Activity 1: Authentic article Video: [http://youtu.be/dPowJwfvMp4
Day 1 (continued) Homework: To interview their parents or other family members Sample interview: 1- How did you celebrate the FestaJunina when you were living in Brazil 2- What did you like the most? 3- What type of music did you hear? 4- What foods did you prepare for the FestaJunina? Exit card: What was new for you about the FestaJunina?
Day 2 Homework: Exercise to review the imperative Exit card: What was the most interesting thing that you heard?
Day 3 Exit card: What was the most difficult step in the food preparation? Answer in Portuguese.
Day 3 (last part) Bolo de fubá Corn bread in the US Exit card: What was the most difficult step in the food preparation? Answer in Portuguese.
8. Conclusions The objectives were met through the exposure to authentic materials , practice, interviews, grammar exercises, peer work, and a practical activity of food preparation.