Core Concept 12-1. • Psychological disorders are seen as diseases by the medical model, while psychology prefers an interaction of nature and nurture. Psychopathology.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
• Psychological disorders are seen as diseases by the medical model, while psychology prefers an interaction of nature and nurture.
• Telling the difference not easy.
• Abnormality is relative and varies with both historical time and culture.
None Mild Moderate Severe
• Behavioral-abnormal behaviors learned
• The DSM-IV, the most widely used system, classifies disorders by their mental and behavioral symptoms.
• Ideally, accurate diagnoses lead to proper treatments, but diagnoses may also become labels that depersonalize individuals and ignore the social and cultural contexts in which their problems arise.