The Unfinished Task. Status of World Evangelization. We’re Going to Talk About 5 Things:. The Big Picture - Jesus’ last words The Status of the Great Commission How are we doing? The Gospel to the ends of the earth What are we doing? Dramatic recent progress
Status of World Evangelization
“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations” Matt 28:19 - A church for every people group
God’s glory and Kingdom filling the earth – worship from “every nation, tribe, people, and tongue”Rev 7:9, Hab 2:14
1. Jesus’ Last Words
Nations = ethne = ethnic people groups
“Preach the Gospel to all creation”
Mark 16:15 – The Gospel to every person
A Church for Every People:
What is the Status?
How Many People Groups Are There?
Total People Groups
(A People Group is counted for each country it is in)
How Many People Groups Are Considered Unreached / Least-Reached?
(Using criteria of less than 2% Evangelical
and less than 5% Adherent)
Best current estimate of unreached / least-reached ethnic people groups:
Countries with the Most Unreached Peoples
What strategy can the Church use to “make disciples of all the nations?”
Mark 16:15 says “Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to all creation.”
Since we do not know who is part of God’s family, we ought to have it as our goal to give every person the opportunity to respond to the Gospel.
Is this a realistic goal to present the Gospel to every person on earth?
World as Coke Drinkers
What are some ways being used to reach every person?
What happened after 1500 that caused such a dramatic rise?
The New Testament has been translated into the mother tongue of over 82% of the world’s population. However the remaining approximately 18% will require over 2,500 new translations.
3. The Gospel to the Ends of the Earth
What is the most viewed film in history and what film has been translated into the most languages in history?
There have been approximately 6.225 billion cumulative viewings or hearings to the Jesus Film. It is available in languages known by over 90% of the world’s population.
Christian Radio Broadcasting
It is estimated that Christian radio broadcasts cover at least 91% of the world’s population.
A Church for every People Group
Unreached / Least Reached 6,800
The Gospel to the Ends of the Earth
True Believers 10%
Nominal Adherents 20%
Heard, no response 40%
Virtually no exposure 30%
* Explosion of the non-western Church *
The Global South: The new faces of Evangelical Christianity
* Unprecedented growth of the Church in the Global South *
1990 – ~ 10 tiny groups
1997 – ~ 300 fellowships
2005 – 1,000 churches
2005 – new church every week
2005 – 100,000 believers
* Philippines *
1975 – 3,000 churches
2005 – 55,000 churches
2010 – Expect to send out 100,000 contract workers into the 10/40 Window in the next 15 years as tentmaking missionaries … the most of any country!
* China *
Chinese: 50,000 Missionaries
Nigerians: 15,000 missionaries
Filipinos: 100,000 Contract labor tentmakers
4. Dramatic Recent Progress
Developing World Missions Initiatives in the 10/40 Window
Estimated missionaries sent by various countries over the next 15-20 years.
Why hasn’t the Great Commission been completed?
* Spiritual Challenge *
Satan does not give up ground without a battle.
More Christians have been martyred in the 20th century than in the previous 19 centuries combined.
* Population Challenge *
5.5 billion lost people in the world …
Viewing 5 per second it would take 35 years to see everyone.
Related video from International Mission Board-SBC at: www.churchmedialink.com
* People Group Challenge *
Remaining people groups are the most difficult to penetrate.
* Political / National Challenge *
Countries with the highest % of unreached tend to be the most closed to Christianity
5. Challenges of the Unfinished Task
* Church Challenge *
Imbalance in Missionary Distribution
For every 1 million unreached Muslims there are less than 3 missionaries
Imbalance in Missions Finances
Question: For every $1 of Christian giving to all causes how much goes to financing pioneer church planting among unreached peoples?
“After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude, which no one could count, from every nation and all tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb” Rev 7:9
PO Box 64080
Colorado Springs, CO 80962 USA