Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Uruguay’s Second National Communication to the Parties in the UNFCCC. CGE Global Hands-on Training Workshop on Mitigation Assessments Seoul, Republic of Korea, 26-30 September 2005. Climate Change Unit National Environment Directorate Ministry of Housing, Territorial Regulation and Environment.
CGE Global Hands-on Training Workshop on Mitigation AssessmentsSeoul, Republic of Korea, 26-30 September 2005
Climate Change UnitNational Environment DirectorateMinistry of Housing, Territorial Regulation and Environment
Objective: To identify a set of measures oriented to reduce net emissions of GHG and to facilitate adaptation to climate change
It was a great challenge, but is one of the main lessons learned: the importance of involving all stakeholders
Facilitates the procurement of external resources
It was a great challenge, but is one of the main lessons learned: the importance of political support
In the framework of the preparation of the Initial National Communication, the ENPEP model was applied to assess the impact of mitigation options on GHG emissions from the Energy Sector: first step to focus on specific measures
Measures selection process:
* Improvement of animal diet by extending seeded pastures and improved fields
* To further Carbon capture through planted forests
* Substitution of anaerobic ponds of industrial effluent treatment to intensive anaerobic processes
* Operation of new sanitary landfills in Montevideo and Canelones
* Efficiency improvement in:
residential and commercial use equipment
industrial and service sectors
lighting in residential and service sectors
* Expansion of renewable non-conventional energies (eolic park and biodiesel)
* Optimization of urban transportation system of Montevideo
*Utilization of CNG and LPG in: cars and cabs, buses and trucks
* Use of bicycles and construction of bicycle lanes
First investment project for the GHG mitigation in Uruguay, with co-partnership of the Ministry of Housing, Territorial Regulation and Environment, the Municipality of Maldonado, the private enterprise that operates the sanitary landfill, the Electric Governmental Enterprise (UTE), the GEF, WB and UNDP
Involvement of all these stakeholders is a challenge, but it is the way to make it possible !
Landfill Methane Recovery Demonstration Project
Climate Change Unit