the history of eastern l.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
The History of Eastern PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
The History of Eastern

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 52

The History of Eastern - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 135 Views
  • Uploaded on

The History of Eastern. Building History. Former Presidents. Residence Halls. Academic Buildings. Fun Facts. 100. 100. 100. 100. 100. 200. 200. 200. 200. 200. 300. 300. 300. 300. 300. 400. 400. 400. 400. 400. 500. 500. 500. 500. 500.

loader
I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
capcha
Download Presentation

The History of Eastern


An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
slide2

Building

History

Former

Presidents

Residence

Halls

Academic

Buildings

Fun Facts

100

100

100

100

100

200

200

200

200

200

300

300

300

300

300

400

400

400

400

400

500

500

500

500

500

old main

Old Main

Old Main was the first building on Eastern’s campus, serving as the sole building for the first ten years of the schools history.

pemberton

Pemberton

Openings its doors in 1909, Pemberton was the first of its kind in the state, with Senator Stranton C. Pemberton being instrumental in the passage of the bill allowing for the construction of the building. There were originally 100 female students living in the building, with room and board

being $4.00 per week in 1909.

student services building

Student Services Building

Originally known as the Practical Arts Building, this building was completed in 1929 and formed the south border of the original campus.

buzzard hall

Buzzard Hall

Built in 1958, Buzzard first served as a Laboratory School for kindergarten through 9th grade. The lab school closed its doors at the end of the 1973-1974 school year as a result of the declining interest in university-operated laboratory schools.

which building looks like one you would see as an office building in the business world

Which building looks like one you would see as an office building in the “business world”?

lumpkin

Lumpkin

Lumpkin was added to campus in 1990, with the architect specifically designing the building to look like one you would see in the “business world,” since it houses the Lumpkin College of Business and Applied Sciences.”

mr louis v hencken

Mr. Louis V. Hencken

First serving as the Director of Housing and Dining as Eastern, Mr. Hencken moved to become the interim Vice President for Student Affairs. He then served as the interim President before becoming the President in 2001.

mr livingston c lord

Mr. Livingston C. Lord

Mr. Lord came from Minnesota to served as President of Eastern. He stayed at Eastern until his death at the age of 82.

dr carol d surles

Dr. Carol D. Surles

Dr. Surles came to Eastern in 1999, and was not only the first female to hold the position as President, but also the first African American.

dr quincy van ogden doudna

Dr. Quincy Van Ogden Doudna

Dr. Doudna came to Eastern in 1956, and became known as “The Builder’ of Eastern.” The university grew from 190 acres with 11 buildings to 316 acres with 35 buildings.

dr gilbert cortland fite

Dr. Gilbert Cortland Fite

Dr. Fite was president from 1971-1977, during which time Eastern students were given the right to vote in Coles County.

carman

Carman

Carman was built in 1971, and is the largest resident hall on campus. It was named after Ruth Carman, a faculty member from 1914 to 1953.

stevenson

Stevenson

Stevenson is the only residence hall where men and women can reside on the same floor. This is because it is set up in suite style living. Students must either have 60 or more semester hours or be 21 or older to live in Stevenson.

greek court

Greek Court

Greek Court was built in four phases, and houses 18 fraternities and sororities. The buildings are designed in suite format, where 2 double rooms share a bathroom.

thomas hall

Thomas Hall

Thomas is a four-floor all male hall built in 1963, and is able to accommodate 450 men. Thomas was named after Simeon E. Thomas, who was employed by Livingston C. Lord as head and sole member of the Department of Social Science.

the triad

The Triad

The Triad, composed of Ford, McKinney, and Weller was built in 1958 as temporary housing, but were so well received, they were remodeled and made permanent. They are named after three outstanding female faculty members: Ellen Ford, Latin; Isabel McKinney, English; and Annie Weller, Geography.

blair

Blair

Blair Hall was completed in 1913, and took a mere $75,000 to build. It is named after Mr. F.G. Blair, who served as the first supervisor of the training department before he left Charleston to become State Superintendent of Public Instruction.

coleman

Coleman

Coleman was built in 1965 and is named after Dr. Charles Coleman, eminent Lincoln historian and long-time member of the History Department faculty.

which building is named after the first director of the school of industrial arts and technology

Which building is named after the first Director of the School of Industrial Arts and Technology?

klehm hall

Klehm Hall

Klehm Hall was built in 1967, and is named after Walter Klehm who was the first Director of the School of Industrial Arts and Technology.

life science building

Life Science Building

The Life Science Building opened in 1963, and was built where an amphitheater used to sit. Completed in 1950, the ampitheater was removed when the Life Sciences Building was being built from 1961 to 1963.

physical sciences building

Physical Sciences Building

The Physical Sciences Building was built during Dr. Buzzard’s time as President (1940), with the columns being a gift from the class of 1915.

napoleon

Napoleon

Napoleon was a golden retriever who wandered in and out of classrooms and the campus community took care of him for nearly fifteen years until his death in 1960. He is buried beside a bench just south of Old Main.

slide48

72

In 1899, there was one building, but we now have 72!

slide50

4

There were three men

and one woman.

samuel m inglis

Samuel M. Inglis

Contrary to popular belief, Mr. Lord was not the first President of Eastern. Samuel M. Inglis was first selected; however, he died before officially taking office.