Grammar and usage. Discussion. What are they wearing? Can you describe the team using attributives?. the red team 2. the team in red 3. The team who are wearing red are working. Attributives. Attributive clause. Question: Which is an attributive clause?. the red team
Question: Which is an attributive clause?
An attributive clause modifies a noun in the same way that an adjective or prepositional phrase does. The noun it modifies is called an antecedent.
eg.The team who are wearing red
The attributive clauses are usually introduced by relatives pronouns like which, that, who, whom，as and whose, or relative adverbs like where, why and when.
eg.The team who are wearing red are
In the attributive clauses the relative words usually function as the:
subject, object, predicative, attribute, adverbial
eg.The team who are wearing red are working.
1.The boy is Tom. The boy has a round ace.
2. The teacher will give us a talk. We met the teacher yesterday.
3. I know the boy. His father is a doctor.
The teacher (whom)we met yesterday will give us a talk.
I know the boy whose father is a doctor.
a lazy boy.
Jack is no longer the lazy boy thathe used to be.
5.The school is beautiful. He studied in
The school wherehe studied is beautiful.
2.We know the girl (whom/that) you saw just now.
3. The book which/that is about music is good.
4. I also like the book (which/ that) you bought yesterday.
5.They visited the writer whose books arer very popular.
6. They live in the house whose roof is blue.
They visited the writer the books of whom are very popular.
of whom the books
They live in the house the roof of which is blue.
of which the roof
whose=of whom the +n
whose=ofwhich the + n
who / that
(whom /who/ that)
(which / that)
1. 先行词为不定代词everything，something, nothing, anything或由few, little，much，all，only, the very等修饰时，常用关系代词that来引导定语从句。如：
They go to the newspaper’s own library to look up any informationthat they need.
This is the very bookthat I have been looking for.
The only thing that matters is to find our way home. 惟一要紧的事是找到回家的路。
I was the only person in my office who was invited. 我是我们办公室唯一被邀请的人。
The first thingthat we should do is to work out a plan.
Newton was one of the greatest menthat ever lived.
We talked about the things and personsthat we saw then.
Look at the man and his donkeythat are walking up the street.
4. 当先行词前面有who, which等疑问代词时用that。如：
Which is the dictionary that you want?
Who is the man that is standing by the door?
8. Which is the book _____you want?
9. Who is the girl ______sits there.
10. All _____he said is true.
11. All _____is said by him is true.
12. Are there any problems ____trouble
13. I will make full use of the time
____________ is left for me.
I’ve never heard such stories as he tells. 我从未听过他讲的故事。 This is the same dictionary as I lost. 这本字典跟我丢失的一样。
1. Such boys ____you mentioned are good.
2. The boys ____ ____you mentioned are
3. It is so difficult a problem ___no one can work out.
4. It is so difficult a problem_____no one
can work it out.
5. She wore the same hat ____you wore
_____you made last time..
7. I had the same experience _________you
8.She went to the same place ______she
saw the key.
9. Those ____are present are well.
10. Is this the factory _____________he visited?
11. Is this factory ___________he
12. This is the room____________ LuXun lived in. 13. This is the room in ＿＿ LuXun lived.
14. I know the girl _______________ he is talking to.
15. I know the girl to _______ he is talking.
16. Please tell me the way _____________ I can improve my English.
(in which/ that)
present at the meeting now. (be)
18.He is the only one of them who
______present at the meeting now.
19.He is the one of them who
______present at the meeting.
2. Mr. Smith is the only one of the foreigners ____
working in our school now .
A. who are B .who is
C. whom is D. whom are
3. Who is the man ____ shook hands with you
just now ?
A. who B. that C. which D. whom
4. You are the only person ____ I’ve met ____
could do it .
A. who , / B. / ,whom C. whom , / D. / , who
6. He is no longer ____ he used to be .
A. who B. whom C. that D. what
7. The Great Wall is just the place ( the very place )
____ I want to visit for many years .
A. which B. where C. that D. what
8. The school ____ we will visit next week is not
far from here .
A. where B. what C. which D. in which
9. Is this factory ____ you visited yesterday .
A. which B. that C. where D. the one
10. Is this the factory ____ you worked last year .
A. which B. in which C. that D. the one
understand . A. such , that B. such , which
C. such , as D. so , as
21. My hometown is no longer the same _____ it
used to be .
A. like B. that C. as D. which
22. She is no longer the girl __ she was ten years ago .
A. which B. who C. that D. when
23. You can take any seat ____ is free .
A. in which B. that C. where D. which
24. Who is the man ___ will give us a speech this
A. that B. who C. which D. whom
25. Which is the book ____ you bought yesterday ?
A. that B. which C. whose D. of which
she walked out and said nothing .
A . that , that B. what , that
C. what , as D. that , which
27. I feel the way _____ I’ve been treated.
A. when B. that C. how D. where
This is the room in ＿＿ LuXun lived.
The book the cover of ＿＿ is red is Tom’s.
He has a daughter , ＿＿ works in a bank.
The clock is that ＿＿ tells the time.
4. whose( 在从句中作定语)＝of which / of whom
Jack lives in the room ＿＿ window faces south.
Jack lives in the room ＿＿＿ the window faces south.
The girl ＿＿ father works in a hospital dislikes working as a doctor.
1. There are 54 students in our class,
______ 18 are girls.
A. more than B. less than
C. in those D. of whom
2. We’ll remember those days _________
we spent together.
A. when B. in which
C. in that D. which
Africa next month.
A. the nurse is talking to him
B. whom the nurse is talking
C. the nurse is talking to
D. who the nurse is talking
4. Next month, _________ you’ll spend
in your hometown, is coming.
A. which B. that C. when D. where
attend the meeting.
A. because B. because of which
C. to which D. because of that
6. There is no dictionary ______ you can
A. in it B. in which
C. where D. in that
_______ was shown on TV?
A. what B. which
C. as D. that
8. She was wearing the same dress
__________ she had on the day before.
A. that B. which
C. where D. what
is reported in today’s newspaper.
A. it B. as
C. which D. that
10. All ________ is needed is a supply
A. / B. that
C. what D. which
Talk about the picture on P10, using
attributive clauses (free talk).
Do workbook exercise C1 and C2.