GRAMMAR. LESSON 5 & 6. RELATIVE CLAUSE ( MỆNH ĐỀ QUAN HỆ ). Relative clause gives us more information about the person, animal or thing we talk about. Relative pronouns. Usage. 1/ For Person : The one sees Dependent Arising. He sees the Dharma.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
LESSON 5 & 6
Relative clause gives us more information about the person, animal or thing we talk about.
1/ For Person :
→ The one who/ that sees Dependent Arising sees the
→ He saw beings who / thatare easy to teach and hard to
→ The Konandaswhom/ that the Buddha was preaching
Dharma to were his old companions.
2/ Things :
→ Some lotuses which/ that are born in the water are unstained by it.
→ The Dharma which/ that the Buddha has realised is profound.
3/ Possession :
→ The lady whosesmile is beautiful is Princess Yasodhara.
→ The bird whosewings are hurt is sitting in the tree.
4/ Use “that” in these cases : ( những trường hợp dùng “that”)
He’s the most intelligent one that I admire a lot.
The Noble Eight-fold Path is the only way that leads one to true happiness.
There is something mysterious here that I have to explore.
She talked about the people and places thatshe had visited.
E.g : He’s the man who asked the Buddha to accept him in His order.
E.g : This is a subject that (which) is hard to see.
There are those that (who) will understand the Dharma.
E.g : They are the lotus plants which I like very much.
→ They are the lotus plants I like very much.
People whom he sees are of various kinds.
→ People he sees are of various kinds.
E.g : Brahma Sahampati, who feared that the world might be destroyed without hearing the Dharma, approached and requested the Buddha to preach the Dharma.
E.g : The Middle Path, which leads to calm, wisdom, enlightenment, Nibbana, has been comprehended by Tathagata.
E.g. : Angulimala, whom the Exalted One preached the Dharma to, is a bloodthirsty robber.
COMPARE BETWEEN DEFINING AND NON- DEFINING RELATIVE CLAUSE “who and which”.
E.g: I don’t know what he said.
E.g: Deer Park is the place where the Buddha gave his
first discourse entitled “ The Turning of the Dharma
E.g. : The full moon day of Vesak is the day when Prince Siddhartha was born.
E.g: That’s the reason why the prince decided to leave the kingdom and renounce the world.
2. True religion, ………….. makes a person light-hearted and joyful all the time, means living the best and highest life, getting the most of our life.
4. The Buddha, …………….teaches his followers to do good, is a great teacher.
5. The Buddha ………………teachings given to men over 2500 years are still helpful to us today was the wisest teacher the world has ever seen.
7. Many of our brothers and sisters in the West are taking refuge in the Great Master ……………….. has guided the East for so many centuries.
10. Queen Maya, ……………king Suddhodana got married to, was a daughter of the Kolyas.
11. …………………… I‘ve ever known.Lumbini Park is the place…………the Queen gave birth to a prince.
12. The wise hermit Asita, …………….the price invited to the palace on the naming ceremony, said that two ways would open before the prince.
15. I don’t know ………….beings are still attached to worldly pleasures although they know it will bring them grief sooner or later.