INVESTMENT IN AGRICULTURAL MARKETING AND MARKET RELATED INFRASTRUCTURE IN THE ABSENCE OF APMC ACT – A CASE STUDY OF KERALA. BACK GROUND OF THE STUDY.
MARKET RELATED INFRASTRUCTURE
IN THE ABSENCE OF
– A CASE STUDY OF KERALA
1. To analyze the investment made in agricultural marketing and market related infrastructure in Kerala after implementation of model APMC act.
2. To find out the factors responsible for lack of investment in agricultural marketing and market related infrastructure in Kerala .
3. To study the perception of different stakeholders about agricultural marketing investment in agricultural marketing infrastructure.
4. To suggest potential investment in agricultural marketing and market related infrastructure in Kerala .
Selection of Stakeholders:
Lack of APMC Act infrastructure on post harvest handling, assembling, sorting, grading, packing, transportation, quality certification, palletization, labelling, pre-cooling, cold-store, ripening chambers and exports.
Total number of markets in the state :1290
Local self govt. controlled markets :
Urban Whole sale markets : 214
Spices Board ,
Tea Board ,
Coffee Board ,
Coconut Development Board
Involved in marketing of specific commodities .
Exporters facilities should be created for Kanthaloor and Vattavada of Idukki district farmers to avoid distress sales. (selling to Coimbatore and Madurai traders of Tamil nadu ).
- Toll processing –steam sterilization facilities should be created for export oriented spices .
- Export testing labs should be set up at meet out EU standards and US standards to avoid export consignment rejection
- Pesticide residue is major problem for spice exporters of Kerala for Spices crops like Pepper , Ginger and Nutmeg. (Endosulfan , Monocrotophos and Ethion banned in developed countries )
- Focus group subsidy should be given to exporters of Pepper and Chilli by APEDA .
-DEPB –Duty entitlement pass book scheme stopped and it should be started again .
- VAT problem (lack of uniformity )
- Tax structure is not proper (50-60 % tax payment ).
Banana –Fibre extraction unit .
Paddy – Scented variety Processing unit essential .
- Drying yards for paddy
- Combined harvester with less paddy loss
- Storage godown
*APMC Act is repealed w.e.f. 1.9.2006.
Only the State of Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Orissa, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh (only for special license for more than one market) Mizoram (only for single point levy of market fee) and Haryana (only for contract farming) have notified such amended Rules so far.