STD Overview. Sam Brown-Parks, MD, MPH July 17, 2008. Overview. Bacterial Chlamydia Gonorrhea Syphilis Viral HSV HPV HIV Parasitic Trichomonas. Chlamydia. Chlamydia Trachomatis most common treatable bacterial STD 2.8 Million Americans/ year
Sam Brown-Parks, MD, MPH
July 17, 2008
Vaginal/ Urethral DNA probe (with GC)
Rescreen positives in 3 months after treatment
+ Concomitant tx for GCTesting & Treatment
Vaginal/ Urethral DNA probe (with Chlamydia)
Ceftriaxone 125mg IM*
Cefixime 400mg po*
Plus concomitant tx for ChlamydiaTesting & Treatment
unaware of lesions at time of transmission
Number of Cases
1. I know exactly where I got this disease.
2. I got this disease from my last sexual partner.
3. When my symptoms are gone, my infection is cured.
4. My symptoms are not from an STD, but from other causes (i.e., stress, chemical
burns, zipper trauma, or menstrual cramps)
1. Sexual experience implies sexual knowledge.
2. The definition of “sex” is vaginal intercourse only.
3. Women usually have few sexual partners, while men have several.
4. Physician responsibility ends with the diagnosis and treatment of the disease.