Emerging Technology for Embedded Systems Software. Business trends. Clear trends can be seen in the following domains: Microprocessor technology System architecture Design composition Software content Programming languages Uml and modeling. 1. Microprocessor technology.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Business trends Clear trends can be seen in the following domains: Microprocessor technology System architecture Design composition Software content Programming languages Uml and modeling
1. Microprocessor technology Depending on Silicon technology (eg recently High-k). From 8-bit mc to 32-bit RISC (obsolete for 64-bit RISC, eg Itanium). This gives a non-restrictive array of hardware possibilities to the designer. Because of the wide range of available hardware, software development has to take portability into account.
2. System Architecture The earliest systems just had CPU and some logic devices. Increased integration to reduce number of chips. Multiprocessing chosen in favor of simply incorporating more powerful devices. Problem: Multiprocessor System debugging.
3. Design Composition More and more design effort into software development. Up to 80% of the total effort. Codesign allows software to bes tested on “real” hardware sooner, and allows hardware designers to prove their design earlier.
4. Software content Multitasking -> RTOS More integration of standard software components.
5. Programming languages Evolution towards higher level languages. Assembler -> C -> C++ Java popular when runtime reconfigurability is demanded. OO allows for specialists to write a code without knowing the entire system. UML modeling for high level design.
6. UML Two major uses: -Code guide -Code generation Code generation frowned upon because each embedded system is different. xtUml: executable and translatable Uml separates application and architecture.
What was the first one again ? • Microprocessor technology: • More and more devices need software tools • System architecture: • Multiprocessing • Design composition • Codesign • Software content • Standard components • Programming languages • High level Object Oriented • Uml and modeling • Code guide/generation