slide1 n.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
BNA PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
BNA

Loading in 2 Seconds...

  share
play fullscreen
1 / 16
judith-cummings

BNA - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

1 Views
Download Presentation
BNA
An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. BNA Social Studies: Grade 7

  2. Politics • Great Britain had won all of Frances colonies in North America. America had just had a revolution and had broke away from Britain. • What we know today as Canada was Geographically British North America.

  3. Politics • Vancouver Island, PEI, Province of Canada, Newfoundland, and New Brunswick were BNA. They were the colony of Great Britain. • Rupert's land was the remaining land in BNA and New Caledonia. All were owned by the Hudson Bay Company. This was given without considering First Nations.

  4. Politics • French Shore was existing during this time. It gave the French rights to fish on the west coast of Newfoundland. • Canada East= Mostly French • Canada West = Mostly English

  5. Populations • By 1850 2.53 million people lived in BN. • Most lived in the eastern half of the country. Largest city in the BNA was Montreal. • In the East Europeans were of the majority while First Nations quickly became a minority. But In Rupert's land it was the opposite. • Most (85%) people overall lived in the rural areas while the rest (15%) lived in the urban areas.

  6. Economics • BNA’s economy by the mid 1800’s was under the control of a European majority. • Economy based on fur, fish, timber, and farmland. Some manufacturing was happening in the colonies, but very little.

  7. Economics • First Nation and Inuit communities were having troubles surviving. They found it hard to adapt yet some did. Example: First nations in the lumber industry. • Though the HBC did control the land. Aboriginals still participated in their culture. But it was dwindling.

  8. The People • There isn’t just one Aboriginal group in Canada • In the early 1700’s-1800’s, most immigrants were of European decent. But many also came from the continent of Africa • This mix of immigrants would make sup the idenity of BNA and what we know as Canada today.

  9. The British and IRISH • Most people that came to BNA by mid 1800’s were of British or Irish decent. • Life though was very different depending on your background and where your from.

  10. The British • An ELITE is a class of people that has more political, economic, and social power than the majority. • The elite were made up of British and Scottish heritage. • They lived in Canada West, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia.

  11. The British • These people were known as Loyalist. They had sided with Britain in the American Revolution. • In Newfoundland, the British merchants who controlled the fishing industry began to form san elite. • In Government the elite had the most say, owned large industries, and set the standards.

  12. The British Gentleman's club in 1790’s

  13. The British The British Empire

  14. Newer Immigrants • In the 1810’s-1850’s about 800,000 immigrants came to BNA. • They came for a better life do to the hard times in their homeland • Though a hard life it was clear that British and Scottish Immigrants had it the best.

  15. Newer Immigrants • They were given opportunities to thrive and get into positions of wealth and power. • The Irish was a different story. The British were prejudice to the Irish people. This was because of problems between Ireland and Great Britain

  16. Newer Immigrants • Another reason was due to the conflict in Religion. Protestant (British) VS Catholics (Irish) • Although many Irishmen had experience in the fishing industry in Newfoundland they were kept out of the better paying jobs.