Unit 8 Cloning Text A A Clone is Born Pre-Reading Task Cultural Notes Language Points Text Organization Language Focus
First Stem Cells Extracted from Cloned Human EmbryoPosted: 02.17.04Scientists in South Korea have extracted stem cells from a cloned human embryo - a breakthrough that has potential for treating various diseases but also ignites fears that rogue scientists will use the technology to clone humans.
Part I: Pre-Reading Task
Other scientists have cloned small numbers of human embryos that lived for a short time, but the South Koreans who announced their work last week in the journal Science, apparently succeeded on a scale that far outstripped earlier human cloning efforts.
The scientists next took body cells from the same women who had donated the egg cells. The body cells have two sets of chromosomes, the full genetic blueprint needed to create a human being. The scientists removed these body cells' nuclear material and placed it into the egg cells.
In genetic engineering cloning refers to the copying of DNA molecules.
the cells of a single adult cow.
usually abandons one of them without attempting to care for it.
more frequently to premature or underweight babies.
workers from a particular profession, an association or club.
such as wages, conditions of work, and worker security.
with an egg developed into an advanced embryo.
sperm fuses with the egg.
the estimated 31,000 genes in the nucleus of a human cell.
train is divided into separate cars.
positions along the Afghanistan border.
States for permanent residence in recent years.
quest to produce a son identical to himself.
issue its own coins.
tied to the kitchen.
changing a course of action: resist
dumping their waste in the sea.
in this region.
20th century physics.
theoretical sciences, such as logic, biology and physics.
from disease or the deterioration of the environment.
behavior of any physical, chemical, or biological system.
and actions on campus.
vehicles but at the same time develop the industry, a
compromise was reached.
on a solution to the problem of acid rain.
society with many ethical and legal controversies.
be its total Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
formidable natural disasters.
are much larger clothing stores with many more choices of items
and ethical issues surrounding cloning technology.
depletion of the ozone layer.
to happen or continue: put up with
student saying that drugs on campus would
not be tolerated.
exams, just as parents will not let their
children lie and get away with it.
very era from ancient times to the present.
but has now been brought back to life and is spoken
bibliographic records, including the entire card
catalog, through the Internet.
the Internet and mail order catalogs rather than
through retail outlets.
terrorists attack on the World Trade Center.
over the money.
found them to be normally unaggressive and even
timid toward man.
normally wet, such as Indonesia, the Philippines
and eastern Australia have experienced drought.
street festivals and ethnic celebrations in New York City.
and lungs and also damages plants.
revolutionized 20th century physics.
to peer far more deeply into heavens.
inherit different forms of a given gene, making each person
instincts, culture is socially inherited.
2) receive (money, property, etc. of an ancestor)
about the bomb attack happening yesterday.
of gun violence on campus.
students were absent for class.
bomb on Hiroshima, Japan.
amount of energy is released.
learn at their own space.
and an ability to understand difficult mathematical concepts.
loose on the controls.
animal and put it into another
transplanted from one area of the body to another.
save a patient’s life.
are suitable for transplantation into humans.
those afflicted with diseased organs.
blows or words
resistance (followed by to)
ability to recognize and then destroy bacteria and viruses.
viruses, and other harmful agents.
are merged and traditions lost.
device is the abacus.
happened that way.
transferred to the sales department.
into a town.
baking; a number of things taken as a group; lot
Words and Phrases to Drill
ancient atomic batch beforehand brilliant
catalog clone comment compromise curiosity
dot fuse gene genius identical
immune inherit merge mixture normally
offensive oppose potential primitive residence
terrify theoretical tolerate transplant twin
union be opposed to for all the world give birth to
grow into in principle lash out at let loose
start out take up
1) A green card is a registration card, originally green, granting an alien permanent _________ in the United States.
2) It was Marx’s ideas that _________ communism.
3) In Istanbul, east and west ___________together in a way that is fascinating to observe.
4) The ____________ surgery of those days left my sister virtually deaf in one ear.
5) You inherit half your ____________from your father and half from your mother.
7) Her house is furnished in a curious _______________ of old and modern styles.
8) The Euro is a unit of currency that is used by a dozen countries that have joined the European monetary(货币的) _________________.
9) I knew Michelle was coming that afternoon because she had phoned me _____________.
10) What _______________as fun quickly became hard work.
12) You don’t have to go to a store to buy things now. You can buy them on line or through a mail-order _________________.
13) This is certainly a ____________ risk but in practice there is seldom a problem.
14) Susan sounds for _____________ like her mother on the telephone.
15) Some educators advocated a bilingual education in schools but many parents vigorously _________________it.
4) primitive 5) genes 6) compromise
7) mixture 8) union 9) beforehand 10) started out 11) comment
12) catalog 13) theoretical
14) all the world 15) opposed
6) When the coach was laid up with pneumonia, the training rules of the team_____________. (break)
7) The senator _______________the administration for its failure to come up with effective measures to deal with the economic recession. (lash)
8) Old John has accumulated a large fortune in the past few years but he never donates anything to charity; he ______________ an old miser (吝啬鬼). (grow)
4) runs out of 5) sums…up
6) broke down 7) lashed out at
8) has grown into