Cepstrum - The ECE Society of IIT Guwahati Presents How to Make the Mostof Your I.I.T Experience ? S. Venkataramanan, B.Tech, Final Year, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, India
1. Foundations & Fundamentals of ‘Apping’ • Importance of a Good Undergraduate School • The reputation of IITs • Relations between IIT and school applying to • Performance of Current Grads from IITG
1. Foundations & Fundamentals of ‘Apping’ • Why go for Higher Studies? • UG Degree basic requirement • Expanding horizon of knowledge • Specialists are paid more than generalists
1. Foundations & Fundamentals of ‘Apping’ • Is getting a PhD better than a MS ? • Colleges don’t want fly-by-night MS students. • Almost no funding for just MS studies. • 3 years more a worthy investment for more job opps, better industrial contacts and recos.
1. Foundations & Fundamentals of ‘Apping’ • What is the difference between B.Tech and MS/PhD ? • B.Tech Academics oriented. (Courses) • MS/PhD Research oriented. (Thesis)
2. Utilizing your UG Degree • What is G.P.A ?? • How important is a good C.P.I ? • I have a CPI of So-and-So… Is it Enough? • Do universities have minimum CPI Cutoff?
2. Utilizing your UG Degree • First Year of UG program… • Importance of fundamentals. • Mathematics and Laboratory Courses. • Contribution of first 2 sems to CPI !!
2. Utilizing your UG Degree • Utilizing your First Year Summer Holidays • Conversant with spoken English ? • How good are your writing skills ? • Introduction to ‘Research’, ‘Journals’, ‘Technical Writing’ and ‘Communication Skills’. • Enjoy ur First Year summer @ Home !!
2. Utilizing your UG Degree • The K.V.P.Y Scholarship & Fellowship • Importance of Govt. Schols like NTSE/KVPY • What to do for KVPY Preps? How to choose Project/ Advisor? • Visit www.iisc.ernet.in for info about kvpy.
SECTION 1 & 2 : Questions PLEASE… We have covered: • The IIT Edge • Why go for Higher Studies • Difference between B.Tech and MS/PhD • MS or PhD?? • Whats Whys Hows of CPI/GPA ?? • First Year Program – Comm Skills, Writing Ability, CPI Importance, Maths & Lab Courses, KVPY, Intro to Research, Journals etc…
3. What to do in Second Year of UG Program? • Broad view of Subjects: eg. ECE: Elec Sciences, Analog Comm, Electonic Ckts I and II, Signals and Systems, , Control Systems, Electronics Labs and Comm Systems Lab • Maintaining a good CPI. • *** SHIFT OF FOCUS FROM ACADEMICS TO RESEARCH *** • Exposure to technical Writing, Report Writing, Project Abstracts and Summary.
3. What to do in Second Year of UG Program? • Choosing a Project and an Advisor. • TRADE-OFF: Interesting Subject and Interesting Guide • Choosing from Broad Exposure – Does later research have to match up to this?? (NO NEED!!) • Keeping in touch with Second year project Guide… How and Why??)
3. What to do in Second Year of UG Program? • Introduction to PUBLICATIONS • What is a Technical Paper? • Is it Difficult to write one? How do I know if my project work qualifies for a paper? • Who do I write papers with? What templates do I write it in? • *** Where do I write it to ???? *** (Does this realy matter OF COURSE !!!)
3. What to do in Second Year of UG Program? • Do I Enjoy my Second Year Summer ALSO?? • Na Na.. Do SOME work – Internship at IIT Guwahati (This is where your interaction with department and SENIORS helps!) • Getting the summer project written as an internship.. IS This important?? How to go about it? • What is an academic website? How can I create it? (Details in next slide) • Why not to SLEEP all of second summer or spend it with my Girl Friend back home (or in Assam ) – The concept of recommendations exists, that’s why !!
3. What to do in Second Year of UG Program? • When and How to create my academic website ? • Start during summer of second year (after internship of corz!) and update it regularly till end of fourth year. • How to create it? (Dreamweaver, Page Builder, Frontpage) (Keep your Design dept frds in ur good books…) • What are the contents? More like spelling out the contents of Resume (About Me, Projects completed, Current Projects, Research Interests, Career Objectives, Courses Taken, References, Publications, Organizational skills, Links to co-students pages, membership of professional organizations etc.)
SECTION 3 : Questions PLEASE… We have covered: • Shift of Focus from Academics to Research in Second Year • Maintaining a good Major GPA • Exposure to Tech Writing, Research Articles • Choosing a Project Advisor and Topic • Introduction to Publications • What to do during the SUMMER of Second Year? • How, Why and Where to create an Academic Website?
4. What to do in Third Year of UG Program? • MOST Important and Crucial time of B.Tech, whether u go 4 Higher Studies, Research Labs, Industrial Jobs or MBA. • Giving Presentations – Confidence, Articulating Ideas • Cepstrum Talks, Technical Symposiums, Reading Journal Papers and Important Conf Proceedings – TO IDENTIFY SPECIFIC AREA OF RESEARCH INTEREST • IN LINE WITH PAST RESEARCH and IN LINE WITH FUTURE RESEARCH INTEREST
4. What to do in Third Year of UG Program? • Complete FOCUS on RESEARCH – Acads takes the back seat for the first time… • Importance of Inter-Disciplinary Research Projects (Both our Summer Internship work) • Monetary value, market trends NOT very important at this stage, but a general idea will help! (Eg: 9 out of the 10 most paid Jobs are in the Medical Field!) • Publishing your work – Take one research project (apart from design project) with one/two profs at IIT Guwahati during the third year.
4. What to do in Third Year of UG Program? • Project TIME LINE: (Rough IDEA!) • Second Year (During 3rd or 4th Sem) - @ IIT Guw, pref with ur dept faculty 1. (Use this for KVPY also in December) • Second Summer Intern (May-June/July) - @ any of the IITs, pref IIT guw, or Medical Colleges (CMC, AIIMS) • Fifth and Sixth Sems - @ IIT Guwahati, Pref one of the Centers/ Co-supervised by your dept fac & Maths Fac. • Third Summer Intern (May –July) – FLY abroad and ENJOY ur WORK (of course!) • Thesis Project (BTP Work) – 4th Year (Pref with Fac 1, Fac 2 of Center/Math dept and Fac 3 can be intern guide)
4. What to do in Third Year of UG Program? • Genres of Publications: (Eg: ECE) – Decreasing order of IMPORTANCE • International Journals and IEEE Transactions • Annual IEEE International Conference Proceedings • National Printed Journals and International E-Journals • IEEE Co-Sponsored National/Inter Conf Proc. • Undergraduate Thesis Work (BTP Work) • Other International Conference Proceedings • Other National Conference Proceedings • IEEE Sponsored Tech Symposiums (Eg: Techscribe of Techniche) • Project Documentation, Technical Reports and Term Papers
4. What to do in Third Year of UG Program? • Choosing the Thesis Advisors & Project Area Approx. : • Must be the main focus of your 6th Semester • Talk to department faculty about their research activities • Identify a MATCH of their interests and your interests • BEST WAY is to talk to seniors – they will tell you which faculty give 10s, who help a lot, who don’t care, who like giving the ‘F’ Grade a lot and who help with publications and give recos…
4. What to do in Third Year of UG Program? • The SUMMER INTERNSHIP of THIRD YEAR: **S T A T U A R Y ** W A R N I N G A R B I T Apping is I N J U R I O U S to health… • The DON’T first – Please DON’T APP arbitarily. Think sensibly and objectively coz spamming: * DECREASES your chance * DECREASES others chances who deserve the app * SPOILS name of IIT Guwahati for years to come… Please be RESPONSIBLE and don’t let this happen.
4. What to do in Third Year of UG Program? • The SUMMER INTERNSHIP of THIRD YEAR: • Make groups of 5 people each to co-ordinate the apping process • Write to profs sincerely, lying or exaggerating didn’t help me and I don’t think it will help u in the long run either… • Make a list of profs, univs that interest u, store/save those WebPages in the computer too coz net sometimes really sucks at iitg. • Faculty and SENIORS at IITG might have contacts that can help u to get your internship also. Enquire with them. CEPSTRUM CAN MAKE A DATABASE.
4. What to do in Third Year of UG Program? • The SUMMER INTERNSHIP of THIRD YEAR: • Cultivate the ART of writing to profs… No Sir Sir Sir formal stuff and No Hey Buddy.. Howz life either!!!! • They MAY ask for RECO letters OR as for tele-interviews… (Reco use fac who know u very well, proj guides or ur course instructors, SECOND year intern guide wuld be specifically useful for this purpose…) • Prepare a SHORT, SWEET and TRUE Covering Letter. Experienced Profs will detect lies easily . Also attach a Curriculum Vitae (in pdf/ inline) with the e-mail.
4. What to do in Third Year of UG Program? • What is a Curriculum Vitae (CV)?? • A CV is NOT a Resume in the true sense. • It contains your: Internship Objective, Research Interests, Research Experience till date, Projects Completed, Current Projects, Publications, Presentations, Relevent Subjects Taken, Major GPA, Subjects to be taken in Major, Conferences and Synposiums attended and References list. • It will help to put up your CV link on the website and just give the address to ur website in the covering letter. Reduces size of mail a LOT!
4. What to do in Third Year of UG Program? • Preparing for your INTERNSHIP Journey: • Journey to your intern country – split money u carry, hand luggage will have IMP docs like passport with visa, money, certificates, invitation letter from prof and print outs of ALL the email coresspondences you have had with your prof. • Enquire your flight costs (generally cheaper if u book from india). Don’t have too many stops.. Fun at start then a HEAD ACHE. • If u don’t want to be served just a long banana leaf.. Then better call the AIRLINE office 3 weeks/2 weeks before departure date and REQUEST INDIAN/ASIAN LACTO-VEGETARIAN (or Non-veg) Meals…
4. What to do in Third Year of UG Program? • The Do’s and Dont’s of your INTERN ABROAD: • AS A RULE – Never crack jokes or chat about sensitive stuff like RACISM, RELIGION, SEXUAL ORIENTATION or CHAUVINIST REMARKS.. You never know who you are hurting… • Old People, Ladies with children and in general most girls would expect that you be a GENLEMAN and hold the door open for them, hold back the chair when they sit etc… Learn these. • Be INFORMAL with your professor and regarding talking: * In general I have noticed that South Indians speak english very fluently and are hence FAST – Don’t jabber too quickly * And for north Indians and others who are used to speaking in Hindi only, better change your approach from now… Or better, learn a foreign language if u have time and want to hav fun
4. What to do in Third Year of UG Program? • The Do’s and Dont’s of your INTERN ABROAD: • Health is Wealth – Take care of urself * It is not India where people will genuinely care if you are sick * Plus medicines and clinical appointments are real costly * Get a TRAVEL insurance (covers medical, accidents etc) • Be friendly, polite and helpful • Do your Grad School Choosing research during your Intern itself. • Those who have not given their GRE and TOEFL must remember to prepare for them too. • Express to your Prof the need to publish your work, do sincere tasks and tell him that his reco will help you a lot for apping.
SECTION 4 : Questions PLEASE… We have covered: • Why the THIRD year is the MOST important • Complete focus on Research in Third Year • All about Research Publications • The contents of a CV • Projects Timeline (Approx.), Choosing Advisors and Topics • Preparing for the Third Year Summer Internship Abroad • The General Do’s and Don’ts of your Internship Abroad
5. A P P I N G • Decreasing order of IMPORTANCE (My Opinion ONLY!) • Publications and Research Internships • Recommendation Letters • Statement of Purpose (SOP) • DR and Major G.P.A • Relevant Projects Completed • Thesis Work and Current Projects • Overall CPI (after 6 Semesters) • G.R.E (Analytical Writing and Math Sections) • Organization Activities, Leadership, Awards and Honors, Scholarships, Fellowships etc. • Conferences, Technical Symposiums Attended, Presentations
5. A P P I N G • The APPING Process and Time Line • Univ Hunting (May – July) • Website, Writing SOP, Intimating Recommenders (Aug) • Sucking to Profs – if necc (Sept) • Finishing GRE and TOEFL LATEST by this Time (Oct) • Online Application Process (Oct-Nov) • Postal Supporting Docs Submission (Dec) • Waiting for Results (Till Jan to April!)
5. A P P I N G • The APPING Process and Time Line • Univ Hunting (May – August) • Sucking to Profs – if necc (Sept) • Online Application Process (Oct-Nov) • Postal Supporting Docs Submission (Dec) • Waiting for Results (Till Jan to April!)
5. A P P I N G • THE Importance of UG Research (Again!) • PhD/MS is not Academics oriented. Course Grades will not help MUCH. • Publications, Internships, projects, Recos, SOP, CV are ALL related to RESEARCH.
5. A P P I N G • The ART of Choosing your Recommenders • Project Guides • Course Instructors • Internship Supervisors • Employee or Research Lab Head
5. A P P I N G • What constitutes a GOOD recommendation? A Good RECO letter – Emphasis on why you are creative, different, have research potential, why suited for PhD program, long rigorous hours in the labs, good at academic perf, excellent past research work, why u r suited to that particular university, what work u did with the prof, its significance and ur long term goals. (A comparison with previous people recommended helps, but is not necessary)
5. A P P I N G • Which depts to ask for Recos?? • Your HOME Department (At least 1 Prof) • Mathematics Department/ Research Group head/ Lab Dean/Center Head (At least 1 Prof) • Internship – Either Second/Third Year Summer (At least 1 Prof) Generally 3 recos suffice. Some places more recos are allowed, but not necessary.
5. A P P I N G • Other Important Points : F.A.Q • Preparing project abstracts creatively. • Learning to use LaTEX • Preparing a Major GPA card • Asking for Sealed Transcripts • Printing Reco forms + asking Reco letters • What is sucking? Is it necessary? • What is importance of GRE?
5. A P P I N G • Other Important Points : F.A.Q (contd) • Ranking of Programs – Importance and Validity. • Choosing Grad Schools Carefully • Reporting scores to chosen Univs • International Credit Cards – Online Appn • Courier Service for mailing support docs. • Preparing your financial statement • Acquiring financial aid for grad studies • Following up on parcels – tracking • What to do once your apps are all sent?? • The importance of your thesis work and tele-interviews.
5. What to do once Apping is Done?? • F.A.Q • Choosing between Admission offers • How to Reject any schools offer • Accepting an offer from a school • What if financial aid is not guaranteed? • Getting in touch with other prospective grads. • Getting in touch with current grad students. • Getting in touch with prospective thesis advisors. • The VISA application process • Booking on-campus or off-campus accommodation • What to pack and what not to? (Cepstrums site)
SECTION 5 : Questions PLEASE… We have covered: • What is the Apping Process and Time Line • The art of getting good Recommendations • Research (Revisited!) • Decreasing order of important factors in Apping • FAQ Regarding Apping • FAQ Regarding what to do after Appings done!
6. About Me… Any thing you would like to know about my personal experience… ??