Animal Rights & Welfare What comes to mind when you see these images? ANIMAL RIGHTS Animals should not be used by humans. Animal Welfare If man raises or uses animals, then they should be humanely treated. Given food, water, shelter, health care ANIMAL RIGHTS MOVEMENT
"Arson, property destruction, burglary and theft are 'acceptable crimes' when used for the animal cause."
- Alex Pacheco, Director, PETA
Important Dates and Acts of Legislation associated with animal welfare….
1. 1641The bodies of Liberty-- to protect farm animals from cruel treatment the 1st laws
on the books
2. 1828 1st anticruelty act passed by the New York legislature.
3. 1866ASPCA was formed. American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
4. 1906Animal Transportation Act —limits distance traveled without food & water
5. 1958Humane Slaughter Act—all animals must be rendered unconscious before bleeding/sticking
6. 1966- Public Law 89-544 Laboratory Animal Welfare Act (AWA) —insure the humane care and treatment of dogs, cats and certain other animals used for research, experimentation, exhibition and sale purposes
"Animal research has played a vital role in virtually every major medical advance of the last century."
– Foundation for Biomedical Research
What does it take
and show it love...
you are it’s world.
Myths & Facts
1. My pet will get fat and lazy
2. It’s better to have one litter first
3. My children should experience the miracle of birth
4. But my pet is a purebred
5. I don't want my male dog or cat to feel like less of a male.
6. It’s too expensive to have my pet spayed or neutered
7. I’ll find good homes for all the puppies or kittens
Foods in the main vegetarian diets
1. Do animals have rights?
2. Should animals be used for food?
3. Should animals be used for experimentation?
4. Should hunting and trapping of animals be allowed?
5. Should animals be used in a classroom?
6. Should animals be kept as pets?
Written in your own words.