Writing a Good Thesis Statement. STEP 1 Begin with a Point or Thesis. Understanding Thesis Statements. A good thesis statement does two things in an essay: It tells the reader the essayâ€™s topic. It presents the writerâ€™s ATTITUDE, OPINION, IDEA, OR POINT about that topic. Examples :
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Begin with a Point or Thesis
A good thesis statement does two things in an essay:
Each reason is the topic of its own paragraph! Your essay is done!
1. Write statements, not Announcements!
Examples of what not to do when starting an essay:
2. Avoid statements that are too BROAD!
Example – Men and women are very different.
3. Avoid statements that are too NARROW!
Example – In Canada, a person must be 18 yrs old in order to vote
in the federal elections.
4. Write statements that contain only ONE IDEA!
Example - Group work has many advantages, but at the same time it brings
Don’t do this! Ever! Bad…very bad!!
Limit your topic until you can control it:
Ways to limit your topic:
1. specific items (persons, aspects, things)
2. specific locations (place)
3. specific time periods (1970s, WWII, Roman Empire)
4. classifications and categories (newspapers, TV, internet, swimming, soccer training—ball juggling)
Thesis: Going to the movies is a real problem.
Support: 1. Inconvenience of going out
2. Tempting and expensive snacks
3. Behavior of other moviegoers
The hazards of going out, the expensive snacks, and the behavior of other movie goers are some of the problems of going to the movies.
Directions: Limit the following topics and then provide a good thesis
statement for each one by using three supporting details. First one Is done for you.
GENERAL TOPIC LIMITED THESIS STATEMENT