WelcomeTo The ISO TC51 International Pallet Testing Project Technical Symposium
Project History* October 2000Resolution 2-2000, Tokyo, Japan • “ISO/TC51 notes the recommendation of WG2 in respect of safety and economic issues involved in the progression of ISO/CD 8611-2 and ISO/CD 8611-3 to DIS, and agrees to progress both committee drafts to Technical Reports, and further, understanding the need to collate data to support the test methods given in Table 1 of ISO/CD 8611-2, proposes to develop a project to collect this data.”
* May 2001 “International Pallet Testing Project Project Proposal and Request for Testing Plans” Approved 22 May, 2001 Revised 16 October 2001 Revised 03 January 2002
* October 2001 • ISO TC51 Invites all member countries to participate in the Pallet Testing Project October 31, 2001 DOC N621
* December 2001 • Press Release: “International Pallet Testing Project targets Global Material Handling Efficiency” ISO Bulletin – December 2001 Edition
* May 2002 Project Coordination Meeting Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia, USA May 13-14, 2002
* August 2002 Standardized reporting format sent to all Participating Organizations August 6, 2002 – DOC N628
*April 2003 • ISO International Pallet Testing Project Status Report was forwarded to ISO TC51 WG2 members April 10, 2003 • A total of 132 test reports from nine (9) participating organizations have been received for inclusion in the ISO International Pallet Testing Project.
The Participating Organizations • Centre Technique Du bois Ed de L’Ameublement (CTBA) Bordeaux – Cedex, France • W.H. Sardo Jr. Pallet & Container Research Laboratory – Blacksburg, VA USA • Pallet Link – High Wycombe – UnitedKingdom • Swedish Institute for Wood Technology Research – Stockholm, Sweden • Japanese Pallet Association – Tokyo, Japan • Fraunhofer Institut Materialfluss and Logistik** - Dortmund, Germany • CRIL Research Center for Wood Packaging and Logistics – Via Dana, Italy • China Packaging Research & Test Center* - Tianjin, China • Packaging Research Centre SDN. BHD. – Selangor, Malaysia * Twenty one (21) reports from CPRTC in Tianjin China were withdrawn and will be re-submitted to ISO TC51-WG2 at a later date. ** Forty five (45) reports from the Fraunhofer Institut of Dortmund, Germany contained no pallet commercial use information.
* May 2003 • Summary of all reports was emailed to ISO TC51 WG2 members May 23, 2003 and posted on the ISO TC51 web site
* June 2003 • Specification of all pallets tested were emailed to ISO TC51 WG2 members on June 5, 2003
Special “Thank You” to: • Mr. Peter Hamner Research Associate Pallet & Container Research Laboratory, Virginia Tech - Blacksburg, VA USA • Dr. Jae Eom, Associate Professor in Industrial Engineering Myong Ji College Seoul, Korea On sabbatical leave at Virginia Tech Pallet & Container Research Laboratory • Mr. Gerrit Hasselmann Fraunhofer Institut Materialfluss und Logistik Dortmund, Germany