Caribbean Probation Conference. Community Corrections: 21 st Century Approach. The Mentally Disordered Offender. Dr. George Leveridge MBBS DM (Psych). Quiz. a. A significant majority of persons who are mentally ill commit violent crimes.
21st Century Approach
Dr. George Leveridge
MBBS DM (Psych)
Any group of people who
conduct various activities of daily living
earn a living
buy the goods and services they are unable to provide for themselves
school their children
transact their civic and governmental affairs etc.
i. Violent versus not violent crimes
ii. Premeditated versus non-premeditated
iii. Understanding of what they are doing versus not understanding.
Repeat offender (criminality) associated with psychopathology:
The description of the person’s/patient’s appearance, speech, actions and thoughts during the interview.
Exposure to trauma followed by evidence of symptoms from each cluster:
Uncontrolled aggression, revenge,
Power, domination, control, blow to self esteem, homicide
Hyperirritability, financial gain, gang/group activity
Compulsive homicidal, revenge, relief tension, dysphoria, revenge, excitement, arsonAxis 11Disorders and Motivation for Crime
: - improving literacy
- Magistrates (Association meetings)
- Police (Divisional Meetings)
- Creating and re-visiting the need for a new model to address the changing needs.
- Connect with colleagues from overseas
- Keep abreast with current approaches which are effective (journals, continuing educational programmes etc.)
- Affiliations with international associations/groups.