There is an advertising revolution underway and markets have shifted to convertising. What is it? How does it work? Who is doing it? When will you start?
The Opposite Of Advertising
Consumers Now Hold Your World In Their Hands
• Is Being Transformed….
• 1 – 3% Return From Ads Is Standard
• 96% of Online Ads Don’t “Click”
• 98% of Sales Come From Referrals
Josh Bernoff from Forrester said
“Marketers don't understand channels where you have to
talk and listen at the same time... The marketing
industry's idea of a two-way communication is to put an
800 number or a web address or in an ad and take
• $1.5 Trillion Globally Online
• $375 Billion Online In the U.S.
• Off Line Spending Is Moving to Online
While Spending Has Shifted
The Methods Remain the Same!
• Are People Loyal to Brands Or Brands Loyal
to People? Brands Have It Backwards!
• How Do People Find Stuff When They Need or
Want It? SEARCH: 245 Million Times A Day
• Could Brands & Merchants Improve Their
Relationship With the Marketplace?
Relationships Are Formed From Experience
• Why It’s Called Social Media Because the
emphasis is SOCIAL Not Institutional
Plain & Simple: It is Communications & Communicating
The process of social media involves:
• Use Of Technology
• Creating and distributing valuable conversations
• Engagement of conversations to appropriate and relevant
• Methods and messages that create pull and engagement
• Building and sustaining an audience (relationships) of
• Continually feeding the audience with conversational
currency; value they can use: Not Advertisements!
The Corporate Executive Board said “Most companies are
embracing social media—but too many are wasting their efforts
through sloppy management
More than 70% of companies are already using social media;
many are planning to increase their spending on social media
across the coming years. Whether for learning from customers,
building their brands or a range of other hoped-for outcomes,
companies are clearly diving in.
Unfortunately, few have thought very hard about managing
these initiatives. In a classic case or “ready, fire, aim,”
companies are committing resources to social media efforts with
very little process behind them.
The result? A hodgepodge of unrelated initiatives, wheels re-
invented and resources wasted.”
Can you create any
kind of return on
The answer is NO!.
Thus the way you get
a “ROI” from social
media is to learn how to
relationally and in
human not advertising
or marketing terms.
People are conversing with people about life, their stuff,
your stuff, and the currency exchange
is stronger than any past advertising method.
One Conversation is worth
200 Ad Impressions! Get It?
"For companies, resistance to social media is futile.
Millions of people are creating content for the
Your competitors are already there. Your customers
have been there for a long time. If your business
isn't putting itself out there, it ought to be.”
We the people are the new more powerful force and
now we’ve been digitally enabled to find what we
want when we want it . We’re are learning from our
friends, not the advertisers.
Learning “How to Use” Social Media
• “What” Tools Of The Trade: Blogs, Twitter,
Networks, YouTube and the list goes on and one
• “How”: Learning "how" to effectively use social
media isn't about the technology. The
knowledge of "how" is a process of discovery that
changes frequently. Knowledge isn't static and
neither is human interest.
• Advertising was about “pushing” consumers into a
• Convertising is about giving consumers the
“freedom” (without intrusion) to transact
• The tools and convenience to get what they want
when they want it AND
• Saving them time and money AND
• Making the experience “social” SO
• They will tell their friends about the experience
•People Access Brands &
•Gain Discounted Pricing
•No Paper Coupons
•Markets of Affinity
•Brands and Merchants
•Total Digital Experience
•Paperless & Seamless
But Again How?
Consumers can now get discounts, cash, rewards between each other
and directly from brand merchants and all at the click of a mouse
…..loaded with value that keeps on giving and
is worth talking about again, again and again
• Lowers Advertising Cost
• Socially Acceptable and Assessable
• Existing Cards Aren’t Enabled to Do What
• Driven by Innovative Integration: Finance+
Conversations + Brand Merchants +
Consumer Friendly + Affinity Groups =
Something Never Before Offered
• Because Pull Is Better Than Push
• Because Convertising Is Cheaper Than
• Because Awareness Comes From People Not
• Because Digital Is Better Than Paper
• Because It Is Time For An Advertising Revolution
• Because “Social” Is Better Than “Ad”versity
• Social Media Is A Revolutionary Communications System
• Advertising Is A Mass Media System
• Communicating Is A Relational Dynamic
• Advertising Is An Institutional Dynamic
• Convertising Is A Recommendation
• Advertising Is An Institutional Trick
• Convertising Is Inexpensive
• Advertising Is Expensive
Which Is Relational & Logical?
Now Is Always
A Good Time
Social Media Strategist