1. Acids And Bases By
Mr. A. Rogan
2. Acids And Bases Acids:
Have a sour taste
Eats away materials
Always wear safety glasses when using acid
E.g. Sulphuric acid, Citric acid
3. Acids And Bases Indicator: This will indicate whether a substance is acidic.
E.g. Litmus is a type of indicator.
ACID turns litmus from BLUE to RED
BASES turns litmus from RED to BLUE
4. Acids And Bases Bases:
Bases are the chemical opposites to acid
Alkalis are bases that dissolve in water
Bases tend to have a soapy feeling
Good at removing grease
E.g. Caustic soda (Sodium Hydroxide), toothpaste
5. Acids And Bases Safety:
If you ever spill acids or bases on your skin, wash them off immediately. This helps to dilute them and makes them less harmful to your skin.
6. Acids And Bases An indicator is a compound which shows by means of colour change whether a substance is acidic or basic.
7. Acids And Bases The pH Scale:
Indicates the level of acidity or basicity in a solution
A solution that has a pH of 7 is NEUTRAL
A solution that has a pH of less than 7 is ACIDIC
A solution that has a pH of more than 7 is ALKALINE (Base)
8. Acids And Bases Measuring pH:
pH sensor attached to a datalogger and computer.
pH paper or universal indicator solution
9. Acids And Bases To Investigate the pH of a Variety of Materials.