Diabetes in Pregnancy, 4 th Edition. Jo M. Kendrick, MSN, RNC, CDE. Introduction. For nurses, diabetes mellitus, whether gestational or pregestational, represents one of the most challenging medical complications encountered in pregnancy.
Jo M. Kendrick, MSN, RNC, CDE
(Harris & White, 2005)
- Enhance fetal lung maturation
- Reduce the risk of RDS, intraventricular hemorrhage and death
- Early ultrasound confirms viability and provides accurate dating.
- In second or third trimester, serial ultrasounds can assess growth and detect macrosomia or IUGR.
(Inturrisi et al., 2008; Kjos, 2007)
- Progestin-only (21 days postpartum) and combined oral contraceptives (6 weeks postpartum)
- Progestin-only injectable contraceptives (begin 21 days to 6 weeks postpartum)
- Intrauterine device (nonhormonal) (6 to 8 weeks postpartum)
- Barrier methods
- Progestin intrauterine system
- Progestin implants
- Injectable depomedroxyprogesterone acetate