Asian Americans. Chapter 12: Growth and Diversity By Wolran Kim . CONTENTS. Who are they Model-Minority Racial Inequality Pan-Asian Identity Groups by nationality (6) 2 U-Tube videos Conclusion. Who are They?. Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders are a diverse
Chapter 12: Growth and Diversity
By Wolran Kim
Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders are a diverse
One of the fastest-growing segments
Viewed as a model or ideal minority
Immigration is the primary source of growth
Hawaii all Asian groups coexist
Source: Bruce E. Cain and D. Roderick Kiewiet, Minorities in California (1986), p. lll-115
social mobility (language barrier)
1. Race is a modern idea.
2. Race has no genetic basis.
3. Human subspecies don't exist.
4. Skin color really is only skin deep.
5. Most variation is within, not between, "races.”
6. Slavery predates race.
7. Race and freedom evolved together.
8. Race justified social inequalities as natural.
9. Race isn't biological, but racism is still real.
10. Colorblindness will not end racism.