Advanced 5A. Practice handbook key. Review Units 5 & 6 . A . 1. convey 2. brush up 3. primary language / mother tongue/ native language 4. master 5. carry on 6. retaining 7. proficient 8. immersed 9. halting 10. ASL . B. 1. impossible
Practice handbook key
2. brush up
3. primary language / mother tongue/ native language
5. carry on
2. Having to finish this report before lunch, I can’t stop working right now.
4. While being on vacation, we don’t need to study hard.
7. Before getting married, I knew nothing about cooking.
8. Being a model, she needs to exercise and follow a strict diet.
9. Often traveling abroad, we have many opportunities to practice our English.
10. Not wishing to upset her, he decided to wait to tell her the news.
11. Being rather reserved, he doesn’t mix well with people.
12. After finishing her degree, she went on a long vacation.
2. crammed into
1. The teacher instructed the kids to open their books to page 68.
2. The doctor advised Mr. Duncan to stop smoking right away.
3. The mother complained that my clothes were all over the bedroom floor.
4. The sheriff announced that the kidnapper had finally been arrested.
5. The students complained that the test had been too difficult.
6. The couple mentioned that they were going to Hawaii….
7. The director proposed that we come up with a new business plan.
8. The interviewer asked the player why he had decided to stop playing soccer.
9. The secretary reminded Mr. Moore that he had a dentist’s appointment the next (following) day. / The secretary reminded Mr. Moore of his dentist’s appointed the next day.
10. The policeman replied that he would let him go that time, and that he wasn’t supposed to drive around without his license anymore.