Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Chapter 1 Introduction THE INFORMATION AGE IN WHICH YOU LIVE Changing the Face of Business Management Information Systems & The MIS Challenge Factors Shaping Business Today The Role of IT in the Information Age Information as a New Business Resource Your Role as a Knowledge Worker
(MIS)... deals with the planning for, development, management, and use of information technology tools to help people perform all tasks related to information processing and management.
Three Important Organizational Resources:
2. Information technology
3. People (the most important).
The MIS ChallengeCUSTOMER MOMENT OF VALUE is providing service...
1.When the customer wants it (time) Continental..the world on time.
2.Where the customer wants it (location) Ford in Asia
3.How the customer wants it (form), and Henry Ford - any color you want, as long as you want black.
4.Guaranteed to the customer (perfect delivery)..Fed Ex - guaranteed to be there
Among the various ways to restructure, many organizations are choosing to create a virtual workplace and/or have their employees telecommute.
Would you rather telecommute or drive through traffic everyday to work?
A modern methodology that addresses the use of information technology as an essential enabler of business.
EXTERNAL ELECTRONIC COMMERCE - the use of IT to support how a business interacts with the marketplace.
INTERNAL ELECTRONIC COMMERCE - the use of IT to support internal processes, functions, and operations.
Places technology, technology power, software, information, and technology knowledge in the hands of those who need it - knowledge workers.
Technology knowledge is most important. To participate in knowledge worker computing, you must learn how to use technology.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY is any computer-based tool that people use to work with information and support information-processing needs of an organization.
1. To support information-processing tasks.
2. As an enabler of innovation - thinking outside of the box.
3. As a collapser of time and space. (Efficiency)
Businesses Use Information Technology in 3 Ways:
1. CAPTURING information - at its point of origin.
2. CONVEYING information - in its most useful form.
3. CREATING information - to obtain new
4. CRADLING information - for use at a later time.
5. COMMUNICATING information - to other people
or another location.
Information TechnologyAS A COLLAPSER OF TIME AND SPACE
Knowledge WorkersINFORMATION-LITERATE KNOWLEDGE WORKER
1. can define what information is needed
2. knows how and where to obtain information
3. understands the meaning of information
4. can act appropriately on information to achieve the greatest advantage.
In all instances, he or she uses information according to legal and ethical constructs.