The Trials and Tribulations of an eTutor Harriet Ridolfo Dr Milena Bobeva BUILD Virtual Learning Environments What VLEs have we used and how? Purpose Functionality Hard Information Soft Information External Internal Myths ! A Balanced Scorecard for eLearning
Dr Milena Bobeva
InternalMyths !A Balanced Scorecard for eLearning
2. Costs are easy to determine
3. Is a must
4. People will do this for free
5. eLearning is a course replacement
1. Everyone has access
2. IT dept is happy to support
3. Easy to integrate with existing ICT
4. Volume = value
5. Standards make eLearning easier
6. New technology makes the job easier
1. Appeals to all students
2. Intuitive, no help needed
3. Dropout & attrition is due to eLearning
1. eTutors are loyal
2. ePedagogical tools are available
3. substantial knowledge base
4. eTutors don’t want to share expertise
5. Meeting objectives = successful training
6. eLearning is a problem solver
O1. Lots of time on development, meetings, trial & testing.
O2. Not easy to determine this up front.
O3. A tool for releasing potential.
O4. People will not do this for free
O5. eLearning requires rethinking course delivery
C1. Students generally like Web type interface.
C2. 40/50 min induction – fairly easy.
C3. Drop out - usually for personal reasons.
P1. Yes at Uni – maybe not at home.
P2. Open discussions with Learning Technologist & EDS.
P3. Unit-e as a driving factor is restrictive – some flexibility is needed.
P4. Quantity does not imply quality.
P5. Standards regulate but can be restrictive.
P6. New technology makes the job easier when you know how to use it.
L1. We can’t comment on the loyalty of eTutors.
L2. ePedagogical tools – even if they exist the time need to learn is
L3. Knowledge base of experts – not always transparent, but best practice
knowledge base is being set up.
L4. People are more happy to help once you have met with them.
L5. Meeting objectives = successful training (don’t fail me if I didn’t finish).
L6. eLearning could be a problem solver (paving the cow path?).
Challenges for the eTutorPoints to remember
More reticent students & widening participation
Accelerating changes ICT
Unit Delivery (U)
Globalisation, Transparency & Plagiarism
& public expectations – internationalisation, SENDA