1. Capital Letters:Rules for Capitalization Standard: Written Conventions
1.0 students write and speak with a command of standard English conventions
1.6 Use correct capitalization
2. Capitalize the first word in every sentence.
Capitalize the pronoun I
Capitalize the first word in both the salutation and the closing of a letter. My dog knows several tricks.
This week I have to write an essay.
Dear Service Manager,
3. Capitalize Proper Nouns Proper Nouns names a specific person, place or thing
Central High School
4. Capitalize the names of persons and animals Persons
Animals Monica Stone
Mohandas K. Gandhi
5. Capitalize geographical names Continents
New York City
Bodies of Water
Streets, Highways Crete
Isle of Pines
7. Parks and Forests
Other Geographical Names Sherwood Forest
Everglades National Forest
the Middle East
8. NOTES In a hyphenated street number the second part of the number is not capitalized
West Thirty-fourth Street
Directions such as: north, south, east, west are not capitalized unless they name a particular region
The South has produced many great writers.
Some proper nouns consist of many short words (fewer than 5 letters) and articles a, an, and the, are not capitalized
House of Representatives
Ivan the Terrible
9. Practice Page 269