Week 7/8. Putting MC to Work: Institutional Accommodation. Multicultural Challenges. Create an inclusive Canada - “integrated, socially cohesive Canada” Create accommodative institutions
Putting MC to Work:
- “integrated, socially cohesive Canada”
“make institutions more responsive to the needs/disadvantages of Canada’s diverse population to ensure no one is excluded
From Annual Report, MC, 2009/2010
(both more neutral yet accommodative)
shut out of participation resulting in discrimination/marginal/alienation
- ensure no one is excluded for reasons beyond control
- treat everyone the same or different everyone differently?
* Is inclusivity about changing attitudes or structures?
* Is it about colour blindness/institutional neutrality or about incorporating as much diversity as possible
- attitudes (prejudice/racism)
- structure of media
- media as soft propaganda
- entertainment vs news
(organize info to draw attention to encourage preferred reading consistent with media bias)
* Media Not Neutral but ….
= +53, -255
= +25, -311
TOTAL +10%. - 70%
1 What sociological dimension is emphasized in this course?
a) social b) cultural c) historical d) economic
a) functionalism b) conflict c) symbolic d) pluralism
1 Symbolic interactionist approach to multiculturalism
2 Conflict theory: Marxist vs Feminist