Economic Indicators. Ways that Economists Measure the Health of the Economy. Gross Domestic Product (GDP). The dollar value of all final goods and services produced within a countryâ€™s borders in a given year . About $15 trillion per year in the United States. Nominal GDP.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Ways that Economists
Measure the Health of the Economy
The dollar value of all final goods and services produced within a country’s borders in a given year.
About $15 trillion per year in the United States
The dollar value of all final goods and services produced within a country’s borders in a given year, but NOT adjusted for inflation
Assumes $1 in 1900 is same as $1 in 2000
GDP adjusted for inflation (value of dollar is adjusted to reflect how purchasing power of the dollar has changed over time).
More useful than nominal GDP (because you can compare different time periods)
You want to find out what the GDP was during the Great Depression.
You find a scanned image of the business section of a 1935 newspaper.
It reports the GDP is (was) $352 billion in 1934.
Is this number Real GDP or Nominal GDP?
1933 $600 Billion
1945 $1.6 Trillion
1990 $5.74 Trillion
1997 $ 8.1 Trillion
2007 $13.3 Trillion
2012 $13.7 Trillion
Probably the most important statistic derived from GDP, shows how much more or less a country is producing than in previous years or quarters.
The most commonly used measure of how the economy is doing.
Shows what part of the business cycle we are in.
Divides GDP by number of people in the country.
Measures the average amount each person PRODUCES in a year.
Roughly shows how productive a nation is.
Good for comparing economies of different countries.
The percentage of the nation’s labor force that is actively looking for work.
Computed by the Bureau of Labor Statistics polls a sample of about 50,000 families. (Which branch?)
Who isn’t counted? A: People who aren’t actively looking for work.
Examples of those NOT counted: college students; people who have given up and aren’t looking
1934 25% September 2008 6.1%
May 2009 9.5% March 2013 7.8%
A measure of consumer attitude toward current economic conditions.
Adjusted monthly on the basis of a survey of about 5,000 households.
The index considers consumer opinion on both current conditions (40% of the index) and future expectations (the other 60%).
Normal consumer confidence: Based on a 100 score (based on 1985 data when the business cycle was not in a peak or a trough)
Current CCI =
A measure of inflation
Determined by measuring the price of a standard group of goods meant to represent the typical “market basket” of a typical urban consumer.
Expressed in percentage (what % MORE consumers are paying relative to the last measure)
Computed each month by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Which branch?
CURRENT CPI =
2.0% higher than last year
The number of goods and services that can be purchased with a unit of currency.
As prices go up (or wages go down), your purchasing power goes down
Rate of interest that the Federal Reserve charges to loan money to other banks
Federal Reserve (the “Fed”) = the government bank that controls the supply of money
Affects how cheap or expensive it is to borrow money
Excessively high OR excessively low is BAD
The Fed can’t decide whether the government spends money. That’s the job of Congress, but…
The more money in circulation, the less the money is worth so prices seem higher (inflation). The FED can decrease the money supply to prevent inflation
The lower the interest rates, the more people will borrow. The FED can lower the discount rate to try to stimulate the economy.
(Affects All Interest Rates)
The percentage of people in America who live in households with income below the official poverty line (insufficient income to support a family)
Persons in Family Maximum total family income
For each additional person, add $3,600
SOURCE: Federal Register, Vol. 73, No. 15, January 23, 2008, pp. 3971–3972.
The number of new homes being built at any given time
Ameasurement of how well the stock of 30 large US companies representing various industries is doing.
The gap between the rich and poor