welcome to kth l.
Skip this Video
Download Presentation
Welcome to KTH!

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 21

Welcome to KTH! - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

  • Uploaded on

Welcome to KTH!. KTH Kista. KTH Campus Main Campus. Campuses south of Stockholm: - KTH Haninge - KTH Flemingsberg - KTH Södertälje . KTH Campus (School of Architecture). Practical information today. Right of Residence (EU/EEA) and Residence Permit (non-EU/EEA)

I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about 'Welcome to KTH!' - infinity

Download Now An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
welcome to kth
Welcome to KTH!

KTH Kista

KTH Campus

Main Campus

Campuses south of Stockholm:

- KTH Haninge

- KTH Flemingsberg

- KTH Södertälje

KTH Campus

(School of Architecture)

practical information today
Practical information today
  • Right of Residence (EU/EEA) and Residence Permit (non-EU/EEA)
  • Civic Registration – Swedish Personal Identity Number
  • Bank Account
  • Health & Insurance
  • Transportation
  • Mobile operators
  • Questions & Answers
eu eea citizens right of residence
EU+EEA citizens - Right of Residence
  • EU + EEA citizens (Lichtenstein) need to register the right of residence
  • Nordic citizens do NOT need to register the right of residence
  • Swiss citizens still need to apply for a Residence permit
  • At the Swedish Migration Board (“Migrationsverket”)
  • No later than 3 months after entering Sweden (condition for civic registration)
  • Application:

- Internet: www.migrationsverket.se

-If you have questions regarding:

- if your documentation is complete;

- how to fill out the application form

then visit the Migration Board (Pyramidvägen 2A, Solna). However this will take quite some time.

  • Consequence for incomplete application: request for completion of documents (affects the proceeding time)
eu eea citizens right of residence4
EU+EEA citizens - Right of Residence
  • Enclose copies of:

- Valid passport or national ID card proving your citizenship

- Proof of admission to KTH (Welcome/invitation letter)

- Assurance signed by yourself that you have sufficient funds to support yourself

- Documented proof that you have comprehensive health insurance that is valid in Sweden (“EU-card” or private insurance)

  • More information about supporting documents and on-line application through the Migration Board’s website at:

www.migrationsverket.se -> English -> Studying in Sweden -> EU/EEA citizens

extension of residence permit for non eu eea citizens staying more than 12 months
Extension of Residence Permit(for non EU/EEA citizensstayingmorethan 12 months)
  • Residence Permit for studies is granted for 12 months at a time
  • Apply not later than one month before your current permit expires (in May for Autumn semester)
  • Decision about renewal of Residence Permit takes at least 8 weeks (up to 3 months)
  • You are entitled to stay in Sweden while the extension request is being processed
  • If you leave while the extension is being processed, you will have to return to Sweden before your current residence permit expires (please pay attention to this if planning trips)
extension of residence permit cont
Extension of Residence Permit (cont.)
  • Information regarding application www.migrationsverket.se -> English -> Studying in Sweden -> Extension
  • Required documents:

- Copy of valid passport

- Sufficient study results

- Bank account statement, showing that your funding for the past year was sufficient (amount 7300 SEK/month) and that you have sufficient funding for the remaining duration of your studies

- Notice of admission (only for those studying an other programme/course than the one initially approved for the residence permit)

  • The fee is SEK 1000
civic registration
Civic Registration

Students who study in Sweden for more than 12 months should apply for a Swedish personal identity number (“personnummer’’)


  • As soon as possible since this procedure sometimes takes between4-6 weeks!
  • NOTE: you need an address where you can receive the decision about your application – always update!

Reasons why?

  • Medical care at standard patient fees (same as for Swedish citizens)
  • You can buy comprehensive home insurance in Sweden
  • Bank account (more options or even a condition)

Legal duty for those with personal identity number to:

  • Report the change of address when you move within Sweden
  • Report when leaving Sweden after finishing your studies (not later than 1 week before leaving!)

(Written material in the Blue folder!)

civic registration cont
Civic Registration (cont.)

The Swedish Tax Agency (“Skatteverket”) is the authority responsible for the for the civic registration in Sweden and will issue your personal identity number.

  • Visiting address:

Klara Västra Kyrkogata 13, Stockholm city

  • Opening hours:

Mon: 9:00-17:00

Tue–Fri: 9:00-15:00

Please bring your:

  • Passport (national ID for EU citizens)
  • Residence permit: UT card + decision (Non EU citizens)
  • certificate of right of residence (EU/EEA citizens)
  • Letter of Acceptance from KTH (length of studies)
  • Health insurance

(More info + map in the Blue folder!)

  • KTH international students usually open a bank account in a Swedish bank.
  • The offers vary depending on the bank and if the student has a Swedish personal identity number (staying minimum 12 months) and/or Swedish id-card:
  • We recommend:

- SEB – accepts all international students

Application form provided at the bank.

- SEB – with or without Swedish personal identity number (different services available)

- Nordea, Handelsbanken – possible with Swedish ID card

More information about the offers for SEB is provided in the Blue folder.

banking cont
Banking (cont.)
  • Pay bills without a Swedish bank account
    • Nordea – 80 SEK/bill (for customers), 150 SEK(non-customers)
    • SEB – 65 SEK/bill (for customers), 130 SEK(non-customers)
    • FOREX – 35 SEK/bill
    • EXCHANGE – 35 SEK/bill
    • ICA Nära (grocery store) – 35 SEK/bill
    • Direkten- (convenient chain store) - 29 SEK/bill. E.g. at Odengatan 52(opposite to Stadsbiblioteket/Main Public Library)
    • Daglivs (supermarket) – 27 SEK/bill
    • Certain small kiosks where you can also buy mobile phone SIM cards and/or cash cards (credits for calls)
health care
Health care
  • A Health Care Guide Brochurefor medical and dental treatment is included in your blue folder. Study this carefully!
  • Nordic/EU/EEA Citizens
  • The EU-card entitles you to health care under the same conditions and prices as the Swedes
  • The card can be ordered from the social insurance office in your home country. Always bring it with you when seeking medical treatment!
  • Students from non EU/EEA countries
  • - Pay full medical fees if you do not have the Swedish personal identity number (NB! Doesn’t apply surgery and stay in hospital)
  • - Therefore it is very important to have full health insurance coverage! (Medical costs might be reimbursed from your insurance company)
medical treatment
Medical Treatment
  • In case of sickness/minor accident call:
  • StockholmHealth Care Guide – (“Vårdguiden” )
  • 08 - 320 100 (24 hours available )
  • You will speak to an experienced nurse, who can give you a direct advice which medicine to buy in case of smaller problems or to help you decide whether you need to contact a medical centre (where to go and how to book a time to visit a doctor)
  • Don’t forget to cancel the appointment if you are prevented to go (if you don’t cancel it, you will need to pay the same fee as if you would have been there)!
  • Dental treatment
  • See the Health Care Guide Brochure (in the blue folder) for information on where you can go to get help (addresses/phone numbers).
  • Check the prices in advance! It is relatively expensive.
  • Emergency assistance – dial 112!
  • Ambulance / Police / Fire department
  • Make sure you have a complete insurance coverage!
  • a complete insurance covers:
    • Personal injury
    • Medical and dental care
    • Liability cover (if you cause an accident and are subject to claim of damages)
    • Legal expenses cover
    • Personal belongings (luggage, etc.)
    • Travel
    • After receiving your Swedish personal identity number you can purchase a so called comprehensive home insurance in Sweden.
    • More information
    • Student at KTH -> Student web -> Student rights
local transport by sl
Local transport by SL
  • SL - Stockholm Local Transportation System (www.sl.se) provides transportthroughout the greater Stockholm area.
  • With SL-card you can travel by

- Bus

- Commuter train (pendeltåg)

- Metro/underground (tunnelbana)

- Boat

  • The SL card: ‘‘Access card’’ - chargeable card for 30 or 90 days
  • Ticket-strip of prepaid coupons (‘‘Remsa’’)
local transport by sl cont
Local transport by SL (cont.)
  • SL Access card and Ticket strip can be bought at:

-SL Centres, underground or commuter train stations or in any ‘‘Pressbyrån’’ (in-station convenience stores).

  • Individual tickets: Pressbyrån, station, sms - but NOT on the buss.
  • Student discount:

in September you will get your student ID card which enables you to buy a SL Access card with student discount.

  • It is possible to buy the SL card with student discount even now, but you need to prove that you are a student with a temporary SL-certificate instead of student ID card.
  • To get a temporary SL-certificate: show a signed registration form stating that you study at least 75 % of full-time (your program coordinator or Info-Center can provide you with this transcript after your registration).
local transport by sl cont16
Local transport by SL (cont.)
  • At ticket inspections prepare to show:

1. SL Access card;

2. valid student ID (until you get it you can show the temporary SL-certificate );

3. passport or international/Swedish id-card

(If you don’t have one of these, you will have to pay a fine)

the kth student union ths
The KTH Student Union, THS
  • THS International –is organizing social and educational activities for international students.
  • Seated at KTH Campus
  • “Nymble” = Name of the Student Union building
mobile operators
Mobile operators
  • Tele2 Comviq sponsors all international students with a SIM card. THS International provide them in their welcome packs during introduction weeks.
  • When loading the cash card (credits) choose to buy cash card ’Comviq Amigos’. Most popular for their good prices for

international calls.

  • Telephone cash cards can be bought for example at: 7–Eleven, Pressbyrån (convenient store)…
  • Charge your SIM-card every month to keep low prices!
  • SIM-card will be activated by making the first call after it is loaded with credits.
  • Check up other mobile phone operators as well, for example: 3, Telia, Telenor, Halebop..
kth international student desk
KTH International Student Desk

Questions regarding the subjects to be presented today direct to:

KTH International Student Desk


Visiting address:


KTH Campus, Drottning Kristinas väg 4