Courtly Love. Ideal Love. Real life will never arranges itself exactly like a romance - so enjoy every moment until the end of the story because the memories before the fairy tale ending are worth making!
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Real life will never arranges itself exactly like a romance - so enjoy every moment until the end of the story because the memories before the fairy tale ending are worth making!
Before there were cell phones and computers, men used to show their devotion to a woman with matters of the heart, and of hope. Their futures were intertwined in the erotic desire, and loyalty expressed with the heart’s content.
During courtship, a woman is in control of the relationship where a man’s obedience and submission inspires him to do great deeds.
Back in the day men would express their emotions, but in today’s society we find that men are to appear as masculine and factual.
Where has all the romance gone? Or has romance just changed form?
1. Thou shalt avoid avarice like the deadly pestilence and shalt embrace its opposite.
2. Thou shalt keep thyself chaste for the sake of her whom thou lovest.
3. Thou shalt not knowingly strive to break up a correct love affair that someone else is engaged in.
4. Thou shalt not chose for thy love anyone whom a natural sense of shame forbids thee to marry.
5. Be mindful completely to avoid falsehood.
6. Thou shalt not have many who know of thy love affair.
7. Being obedient in all things to the commands of ladies, thou shalt ever strive to ally thyself to the service of Love.
8. In giving and receiving love's solaces let modesty be ever present.
9. Thou shalt speak no evil.
10. Thou shalt not be a revealer of love affairs.
11. Thou shalt be in all things polite and courteous.
12. In practicing the solaces of love thou shalt not exceed the desires of thy lover.
Typically the courtly love relationship was not between husband and wife.
Although this aspect bothers modern readers more than past readers.
3. Put women on an inaccessible pedestal
4. In some situations, it enabled the knight from reaching his full potential.
- Ex: Guinevere and Lancelot
6. Suffering symptoms of love
Modern: A feeling or disposition of deep affection or fondness for someone, typically arising from a recognition of attractive qualities, from natural affinity, or from sympathy and manifesting itself in concern for the other's welfare and pleasure in his or her presence (OED)
Courtly Love: A certain inborn suffering derived from the sight of and excessive mediation upon the beauty of the opposite sex, which causes each one to wish above all things the embraces of the other and by common desire to carry out all of love’s precepts in the other’s embrace (Capellanus)