Training For T he Conversation. Virginia Wingard UMC Sept. 15, 2012. Why do we need to have the Conversation?. How We Got Here. The church developed a certification system for training leaders in Human Sexuality in the 70 ’ s.
For The Conversation
Virginia Wingard UMC
Sept. 15, 2012
* The Social Principles, United Methodist Book of Discipline.
*”Facts on American Teen’s Sexual and Reproductive Health”www.guttmacher.org, January 2011.
1. We are created in God’s image – male & female
2. Sexuality is a wonderful, complex gift that takes a lifetime to explore.
3. Sex touches every part of us… bodies, minds, emotions, spirits, and relationships
4. Sex is affected by our brokenness and wrongdoing, just like everything else about us.
5. Sex can be rescued and renewed by the grace of Christ, just like everything else about us.
* Parent’s Meeting
* Additional ideas for parent partnerships
* Pointers for gaining pastoral support
1. Sex Messaging – responding to cultural message teens are wading through
2. Sexual Identity – Helping kids think about the forces that share their sexuality.
3. Intimacy – Helping kids think about dating & non-sexual closeness.
4. Desire – Helping kids understand their appetites and needs.
5. Boundaries – helping kids decide what to do with their sexuality.
6. Responsibility – helping kids take sexual responsibility.
7. Do-Overs – Helping kids experience mercy, repentance, forgiveness, and restoration.
* Now: what’s happening w/students’ sexuality NOW?
* New: what NEW perspectives can we glean from scripture?
* How: HOW do we want to live differently?
James H. Richey jr.Ed.D