slide1 n.
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Overview of Extended Use Process for Application Approvals Current procedures Guidelines Policy & Requirements Ot PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Overview of Extended Use Process for Application Approvals Current procedures Guidelines Policy & Requirements Ot

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 41

Overview of Extended Use Process for Application Approvals Current procedures Guidelines Policy & Requirements Ot - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

  • Uploaded on

AGENDA. Overview of Extended Use Process for Application Approvals Current procedures Guidelines Policy & Requirements Other Considerations. 2. Table of Contents. Topic Slide # Extended Use Overview 5 Process for Requesting and Approving Applications 7

I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about 'Overview of Extended Use Process for Application Approvals Current procedures Guidelines Policy & Requirements Ot' - hertz

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript


  • Overview of Extended Use
  • Process for Application Approvals
    • Current procedures
    • Guidelines
  • Policy & Requirements
  • Other Considerations


table of contents
Table of Contents
  • Topic Slide #
  • Extended Use Overview 5
  • Process for Requesting and Approving Applications 7
  • Process for Approving Applications 9
  • Requirements 11
  • Requirements: Outside Organizations 12
  • Guidelines 13
  • Non-Allowable Activities 14
  • Religious Activities 15
  • Fund Raising Donations and Admission Fees 16
  • CONDOs/COOPs/Tenants’ Associations 18
  • Political and Election Activities 19
  • Summer Camps 20
  • Carnivals and Fairs 21
  • Contact Sports: Boxing & Wrestling & Martial Arts - 22
table of contents1
Table of Contents
  • Topic Slide #
  • All Other Contact Sports: Eg. Basketball, Soccer… 24
  • Sample Insurance Certificate 25
  • Swimming Pools 26
  • Filming in Schools 27
  • Take the Field 28
  • Fees 29
  • Fee Exception 30
  • Safety 31
  • Special Services 32
  • User Responsibilities 33
  • How to Check Permit Status 34
  • Where to find Control #s 36
  • Extended Use Check List 37
  • Chancellor’s Regulations Resources 38
extended use overview
Extended Use Overview
  • Extended use is a process that applies to ANY and ALL activities that occur in a NYCDOE school building outside of regular school hours. These outside hours include after 3pm on school days, weekends, holidays and summer recess.
  • The process applies to ALL occupants of the building whether they are DOE, NYC, government, private, movie companies, not-for-profit, political or otherwise. The ONLY exceptions are Open School Night, Board of Elections and Shop Mechanics.
  • Subject to certain exceptions, fees apply to all occupants and are processed based on the date, time and type of activity.
  • Chancellor’s Regulations D-180 provides official guidelines for the Extended Use of School Buildings.
  • All permits require confirmation by the custodian and approval by the Principal.

Extended Use Overview

  • The primary use of a school’s premises must be for DOE
  • programs and activities. After DOE programs and activities,
  • preference is given to community, youth and adult group
  • activities.
  • Responsible adults must be in attendance at all times when youth groups are using school premises.
  • Permits may be granted for recreation, physical training and athletics, including competitive athletic contests of children attending nonpublic, not-for-profit schools.
  • All uses shall be non-exclusive and open to the general public.
  • Athletic fields, gymnasiums, auditoriums, swimming pools and other large areas shall not be scheduled in a way that creates an unreasonable restriction of use by others.


process for requesting and approving applications
Organization/Applicant completes and signs the hardcopy permit application, and submits to school 30 days in advance of the activity start date. A hard copy of the permit application should be available at the school and is available online at the address below. for Requesting and Approving Applications

Double Click on the document to view the form


process for requesting and approving applications1
What form can be used?

Only the official Permit Application Form discussed on the previous slide is valid for use.

Who physically completes the form?

The Permit Application form (hand written form) must be physically completed by the group requesting the permit.

Organizations must not verbally dictate the information and let the school or custodial staff handwrite or type up the form.

Who signs the form?

The Permit Application Form must be:

fully completed and signed by the organization.

reviewed and signed by the school Custodian and School Principal.

What should be done with the permit application form?

original form must be kept on file at the school.

organization given a copy of the signed form

borough extended use unit sent copy if requested

After the application is entered in CPS, the

applicant is given a copy of the CPS application

entry which includes the permit number and cost.

Process for Requesting and Approving Applications


process for approving applications
School Reviews for compliance with CR D-180 and confirms receipt of all applicable documentationProcess for Approving Applications

Double Click on the document to view the form


process for approving applications1
Custodian reviews and confirms availability of space requested

Principal reviews the permit application and will decide whether to approve the space availability. If space availability approved, the principal will sign the hard copy. Note, this does not mean that the permit had been approved..

If application is approved for space availability it is entered into CPS by school designee.

If application is approved electronically at the school level for space availability by the Principal or designee it is electronically sent to the Extended Use Borough Office for final review and approval.

If the application is from an outside organization, an invoice is system generated, once the borough personnel approves the permit, to the email provided. Once the invoice is paid in full, the permit receives final approval.

Outside organizations can pay with a

money order

certified bank check

online with a credit card

No Personal Checks!

If the application is for a school activity, borough personnel enters appropriate funding codes. Permit is then approved. Please note, Extended Use Borough Offices do not and cannot coordinate space use at your school. Please refer to your Building Council’s Shared Space Committee for advice and guidance.

Permit is approved, custodian gets systems generated email and allows access to building.

Note: A permit is not approved until it is processed by the Extended Use Borough Office and paid in full.

Process for Approving Applications


  • Permit submission must clearly identify the organization, DBN, central DOE office, or program accountable for activity being conducted.
  • Activity taking place, inclusive of rooms usage, time and dates requested, must be accurate and aligned with the number of expected attendees and activity being conducted.
  • Outside organizations engaging in partnerships with schools are required to pay permit fees and any applicable security costs.
  • Copy of the Signed Permit Application form must be given to the applicant.
requirements outside organizations
Requirements: Outside Organizations

Tax Id #

  • Allows the DOE to track the organizations using our school buildings & evaluate usage

Email, Phone and Fax number

  • This will ensure proper notification of permit status to the school & outside organization

Description of Activities

  • Must be specific (i.e. PA/PTA Mtg, OST After School Program, etc.) to accurately apply budgeting codes

Liability Insurance Certificate, when necessary (i.e.,

contact sports, camps, carnivals, flea markets, etc.)

  • The DOE may terminate any permit at any time when it is in the best interest of the DOE. Absent an emergency, a minimum of one week will be given.
  • Permits cannot extend beyond midnight (except in limited circumstances for which prior approval from Central is required.)
  • Construction permits and breakfast programs permits are processed by DSF and OSF respectively.
  • The appropriate number of restrooms (i.e. special rooms) must be included on every permit application, providing separate facilities for adults and children whenever possible.
  • Extended Use Borough Offices do not and cannot coordinate space use at your school. Please refer to your Building Council’s Shared Space Committee for advice and guidance.
  • All DOE activities must have NYPD SSD present. Outside organizations may utilize NYPD SSD or employ their own safety (i.e. an alternate safety plan) if pre-approved by the principal in writing.
non allowable activities
Non-Allowable Activities
  • Events personal in nature
  • Commercial purposes except for flea market operations authorized pursuant to Chancellors regulation A-650
  • Any activity involving gambling
  • Any activity involving the sale, use, consumption and/or possession of any alcoholic beverage
  • Any activity that excludes persons based on impermissible discriminatory reason as set forth in Chancellor’s regulation A-830.
religious activity
Religious Activity
  • Board Policy
      • No permit shall be granted for the purpose of holding religious worship services, or otherwise using a school as a house of worship.  Permits may be granted to religious clubs for students that are sponsored by outside organizations and otherwise satisfy a requirement of this Chapter on the same basis that they are granted to other clubs for students that are sponsored by outside organizations.
  • However
      • The DOE is currently under a court order from the U.S. District Court for the Southern District which prevents enforcement of this provision.  This judgment is on appeal before U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.  Therefore, pending the outcome of this litigation, the following shall apply:
  • Permits for use of school buildings for the purpose of holding religious worship services or otherwise using a school as a house of worship should be granted or denied on the same basis as other requests by an outside organization.  Any questions regarding this issue should be referred to Office of Legal Services at 212-374-6888.
  • Permit Application forms must clearly state the activity and be signed by the organization.
collecting fees fund raising donations admissions fees
Collecting Fees, Fund Raising, Donations & Admissions Fees
  • Fund raisers must show that proceeds will be expended for a non-profit purpose.
  • The permit application and CPS must indicate all fees and beneficiary information.
  • Required documentation:
  • Anticipated Revenues vs. Expenditures statement
  • 501 (c) 3 Tax exempt letter from organization that is to receive the funds
  • Applicant’s letter on official letter-head indicating how proceeds will be used
  • Beneficiary letter indicating acceptance of proceeds, specific activity it will be used for and approval to conduct fundraising activity.
fund raising donations admissions fees
Fund Raising, Donations & Admissions Fees
  • Caution!
  • Entities cannot operate their business from a DOE location
  • All banners, signs and event or organization websites must include this disclaimer:
    • “This activity is not sponsored or endorsed by the New York City Department of Education or the City of New York.”
co ops condominiums tenants groups block associations
Co-Ops, Condominiums, Tenants Groups, Block Associations
  • The DOE has determined that organizations like coops, condominiums, and tenant groups including block associations are civic in nature. 
  • Under Chancellor's Regulation D-180, permits may be granted for holding…civic… and other uses pertaining to the welfare of the community. 
  • Therefore, Coops, condominiums, block associations, tenants groups will continue to be allowed to use school space for meetings.
political and elections activities
Political and Elections Activities
  • Buildings may be used for:
  • Polling place for primaries, general elections and special elections for the registration of voters.
  • Conducting candidate forum, provided all candidates are invited to participate.
  • Buildings may not be used for:
    • Conducting political events, activities or meetings unless the purpose is for a candidate’s forum where all candidates are invited.
    • Activities, such as rallies, forums, programs, etc., for the benefit of any elected official
    • Activities, after School business hours during the 60 calendar days prior to a primary and/or general election, by any candidate for public office or elected official seeking re-election except if directly related to the elected official’s public duties and responsibilities.

Tip: See Chancellor’s Regulations D-130 for more information.

summer day camps
Summer Day Camps
  • Must be Not for profit
  • Community oriented
  • Open to all eligible children of the community
  • Maintain necessary insurance levels
carnivals fairs
Carnivals & Fairs
  • User shall maintain and pay all premiums on a liability policy.
  • Licenses/permits from the Depart. Of Health (food) and the Dept. of Consumer Affairs (rides), must be presented at the time of the permit request application.
  • User is responsible for any equipment brought onto the school premises and ensure it is erected properly.
  • No rides or equipment will be allowed that may require the excavation or penetration of the ground surface to secure it.
contact sports
Contact Sports

We will now cover Contact Sports. Here is a sample, but not all inclusive list of contact sports.

contact sports boxing wrestling martial arts
Contact Sports: Boxing, Wrestling & Martial Arts
  • The activity must be sanctioned by a recognized organization established to conduct such events.
  • The organization shall maintain liability insurance in amounts regulated by D-180
    • Required:
      • $1M Commercial General Liability Insurance per occurrence; plus
      • $5M Excess Liability Umbrella per occurrence
      • Name the DOE and the City of New York as additional insured
contact sports boxing wrestling martial arts1
Contact Sports: Boxing, Wrestling & Martial Arts
  • The event must be not-for-profit and all proceeds (if collected) must go to a recognized charity or educational organization.
  • Sponsor accepts and pays for DOE space as well as safety officers prior to the event.
all other contact sports e g basketball soccer etc
All Other Contact Sports, e.g.: Basketball, Soccer, etc.
  • Previous requirements apply, except that the liability insurance obligations in D-180:
    • Are:
      • $1M Commercial General Liability Insurance per occurrence; plus
      • $3M Excess Liability Umbrella per occurrence
      • Name the DOE and the City of New York as additional insured
sample insurance certificate
Sample Insurance Certificate

Double Click on document to view form

  • What should you look for on the Insurance Certificate:
  • Level of Commercial General
    • Liability Insurance
  • Excess Liability Umbrella,
    • where required
  • Additional Insured
  • Name of the organization
swimming pools
Swimming Pools
  • Permits to use a school’s swimming pool,  must include—on the application form and in CPS—the:
  • Swimming instructor’s name,
  • License; and
  • For the use of swimming pools, one DOE-licensed swimming teacher or a licensed DOE teacher with current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor's Certification must be assigned for every 25 pool participants.
filming in schools and staging
Filming in Schools and Staging
  • Filming of school premises (building), school staff and/or students requires prior approval from Central DOE. 
  • Production companies must send a copy of the script to Marge Feinberg; and
  • if approved, the DOE Location Agreement must be completed by the production company and co-signed by the company and principal.  
  • Permits for staging also require a DOE Location Agreement.
  • It must be kept on file with the permit.
    • Tip: See Chancellor’s Regulations A-640
take the field
Take the Field
  • Take the field athletic facilities are available free of charge to certain CBOs/Users that have demonstrated a financial hardship.
  • Usage must be consistent with DOE policy and procedures and must be allowed only when the field is not being utilized by the respective school.
  • Usage applies ONLY to the athletic field, not the usage of any space within the school site including bathrooms.
  • Permits that utilize the Take the Field option do not generate fees to custodians.
  • ALL organizations and individuals, including but not limited to unions, CBO’s, other government entities and elected officials ARE required to pay fees for school space and safety.
  • Fees for contractual costs for school safety are incurred and payable by applicant. These fees are incurred on school days after 3:30 pm and at all times on holidays and weekends.
  • There are no fees applied for space usage from 3-6 on regular school days.
fee exceptions
Fee Exceptions
  • Reimbursable programs awarded to the DOE such as 21st Century and Extended School Day Violence Prevention.
  • Open School Week and Parent Teacher Conferences
  • Community/Citywide Education Councils
  • PTA/PA meetings up to 110 hours per year outside of regular school hours
  • Presidents Council
  • DYCD Approved Beacon Programs
  • DYCD Approved Out of School Time Programs
  • DOE activities require NYPD School Safety Agents
  • Non-DOE activity must have adequate security to provide for the safety at the function and to maintain the integrity of school property.
  • Outside organizations can request, in writing, that they wish to provide their own security.
  • Principal must agree to the proposed safety plan for the event.
special services
Special Services
  • May be needed in extenuating circumstances. Examples are as follows:
    • In the event of a well-attended/high-volume activity which ends late at night and the school needs to be ready the next morning.
    • If there are two activities back-to-back with minimal time between events for proper clean up
    • Under special circumstances that would require the presence of fireman, watchman, or stationary engineer.
  • All requests for special services must be approved by borough personnel.
user responsibilities
User Responsibilities
  • Ensuring that information entered into the CPS system is complete and accurate to the best of their ability
  • Paying permit fees for conducting event
  • Observing all applicable rules as outlined in Chancellors Regulation D-180
  • Ensuring adequate supervision of activities to be conducted
  • Completing a User Organization Incident Report should a safety or criminal incident occur.
how to check permit status
How to Check Permit Status
  • Click Advanced Search
how to check permit status1
How to Check Permit Status
  • Click Permit Status
  • Change the “next 30 days” to “all” and then click retrieve
where to find the control
Where to Find the Control #
  • Click School Safety Summary.
  • Scroll to bottom left hand corner of the page.
chancellor s regulations resources
Chancellor’s Regulations - Resources
  • Extended Use: D-180: –
  • PTA/PAs: A-660: -
  • Unlawful Discrimination: A-830 –
chancellor s regulations resources1
Chancellor’s Regulations - Resources
  • Political Activities: D-130 -
  • Filming: A-640 -
  • Flea Markets: A-650 -