Surat Al- Kafiroon. The Disbelievers. قُلْ يَا أَيُّهَا الْكَافِرُونَ (1)
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ (2)
وَلَا أَنْتُمْ عَابِدُونَ مَا أَعْبُدُ (3)
وَلَا أَنَا عَابِدٌ مَا عَبَدْتُمْ (4)
وَلَا أَنْتُمْ عَابِدُونَ مَا أَعْبُدُ (5)
لَكُمْ دِينُكُمْ وَلِيَ دِينِ (6)
2) Suratقل يا أيها الكافرون: Because it started with this verse.
Abdul-Aziz bin Juraij said: “I asked Aishah () about what (recitation) Allah’s Messenger () would perform Al-Witr with? She said: ‘In the first Rak’ah he would recite: سبح اسم ربك الأعلى, in the second Rak’ah:قل يا أيها الكافرون !, and in the third Rak’ah: قل هو الله أحد ، والمعوذتين.” (At-Termidhi 463)
2) It is recited in the two Rak’ah before Salat Al-Fajr (The obligatory prayer):
Ibn ‘Umar () narrated: “I watched the Prophet for a month. In the two Rak’ah before Fajr prayer he would recite: “قل يا أيها الكافرون!” and: “قل هو الله أحد”. (Hasan). (At-Termidhi 417)
Abdullah bin Abbas narrated that the Messenger of Allah said:قل هو الله أحد
equals third of the Qur’an, قل يا أيها الكافرون equals fourth of the Qur’an.” (Sahih At-Targheeb 1477)
Ibin ‘Abdullah narrated: “During the two Rak’ah of Tawaf, the Messenger of Allah recited the two Sura of Al- Ikhlas, قل هو الله أحدand: قل يا أيها الكافرون.” (Sahih) (An-Nasa’I 2936).
Narrated Farwah Bin Nawfal () that he came to the Prophet () and said: “O Messenger of Allah, teach me something that I may say when I go to my bed.” So he said: ‘Recite:
قل يا أيها الكافرونFor verily it is a disavowal (dissociation) of Shirk.’ (At-Termidhi 3403)
In another narration: Three men from Quraish met the Prophet and said: "O Mohammad, come and worship what we worship, and we will worship what you worship. So, if what you have brought (of the message) is better → we will have a share of it, and if what we have is better than yours → you will have a share of it.”
→ Allah revealed :قل يا أيها الكافرون
→ Islam abolished (abrogated) all other religions.
When the disbelievers asked the prophet to worship their idols one year and they will worship Allah one year.
→ this Sura came to cut off all their covetousness forever.
→ With gathering this beginning and end:
There is an exaggerated warning from shirk, but if you don't accept that → so leave me with my religion.
The relation between the beginning of Surat Al-Kafiroon and the end of Surat Al-Kawther (the previous Sura):
→ (Believers): This Sura ordered the Prophet (our model) to announce to the disbelievers that he didn't worship what Quraish worshiped nor he will do in the future.
→ (Disbelievers): This Sura ordered the Prophet to announce the dissociation from what Quraish worship, and the differentiation between their religion and his religion.
The relation between the beginning of Surat Al-Kafiroon and the beginning of Al-Kawther (the previous Sura):
→ In Surat Al-Kawther: Allah talked about believers and disbelievers.
→ in Surat Al-Kafiroon: Allah talked about the religion of the believers and the disbelievers.
They made not a just estimate of Allah such as is due to Him, they worshipped idols, claimed that angels are Allah's daughters and they have invented a kinship between Him and the jinn, Allah said in SuratAz-Zumar: (39:3):
“وَالَّذِينَ اتَّخَذُوا مِنْ دُونِهِ أَوْلِيَاءَ مَا نَعْبُدُهُمْ إِلَّا لِيُقَرِّبُونَا إِلَى اللَّهِ زُلْفَى “
3. And those who take Auliya' (protectors and helpers) besides Him (say): "We worship them only that they may bring us near to Allah."
** they confessed that there is Allah who had created heavens and earth ( :61 العنكبوت)
وَلَئِنْ سَأَلْتَهُمْ مَنْ خَلَقَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ وَسَخَّرَ الشَّمْسَ وَالْقَمَرَ لَيَقُولُنَّ اللَّهُ فَأَنَّى يُؤْفَكُونَ (61)
61. If you were to ask them: "Who has created the heavens and the earth and subjected the sun and the moon?" They will surely reply: "Allah." How then are they deviating (as polytheists and disbelievers)?
And they also were swearing by saying: (وتاالله، وبالله، والله).
They thought that they were in the same religion of Ibrahim , and they claimed that they were better than the people of the scripture (Jews and Christians).
When the Prophet came, they argued with him that they were in the same religion of Ibrahim and there was no need to change. Then when they saw the Prophet is firm, they tried to have a middle solution. To worship Allah with the prophet one year, and the Prophet then worship their idols with them one year.
→ Allah revealed this Sura to cut off all their covetousness and to emphasize that this thing didn’t happen and it will never happen.
قل : Allah ordered His prophet to say to them Surat Al-Kafiroon. This is a guidance for us to know that Al-Tawhid is coming from Allah . not from the Prophet .(devine order)
ولا أنا عابد ما عبدتم ، ولا أنتم عابدون ما أعبد: the scholars have four opinions regarding this:
1) I do not go along with it or follow it. I only worship Allah in the manner that He loves and is pleased with.
2) I'm not worshipping your idols now, and I will never do. → لا أعبد ما تعبدون(now), ولا أنا عابد ما عبدتم (in the future).
3) It's a kind of repetition to emphasize the meaning.
4) لا أعبد ما تعبدون: it's a sentence in the verb form which indicates a negation.
ولا أنا عابد ما عبدتم: it's a sentence in the noun form which indicates the negation.
→ The negation in the noun sentence is more confirmed(assured, certain).
the meaning is: to negate shirk and to negate the probability of its occurrence.
1) This is a good methodology for the one who invites to Allah especially if he invites people who knew the correct doctrine then they deviated. The person who invites them to Allah should not agree with their right part however he should try to fix the wrong part. No, the doctrine of ignorance is totally wrong, and Islam is totally right, the difference between them is too big. → The solution is: to leave the wrong doctrines and to enter Islam in all its aspects.
There is no half solutions, no patching and no flattering لكم دينكم ولي دين.
→ calling to Allah : needs to believe in all what he is calling to. ”Islam is clear.“
2) لكم دينكم ولي دين: The correct religion is Islam, and all other religions are false (all nations of kofr is one). Muslims worship Allah alone, but all other religions worship other things like: Idols, Rivals, Intercessors, Angels, Planets … etc. but the only accepted religion is Islamآل عمران( 3:19): ( إِنَّ الدِّينَ عِنْدَ اللَّهِ الْإِسْلَامُ )
19. Truly, the religion with Allah is Islam.
3) لكم دينكم ولي دين: is entirely clear and wasn't abrogated with other verses, the same as in (yunus 10: 41) :
( وَإِنْ كَذَّبُوكَ فَقُلْ لِي عَمَلِي وَلَكُمْ عَمَلُكُمْ أَنْتُمْ بَرِيئُونَ مِمَّا أَعْمَلُ وَأَنَا بَرِيءٌ مِمَّا تَعْمَلُونَ (41
41. And if they belie you, say: "For me are my deeds and for you are your deeds! You are innocent of what I do, and I am innocent of what you do!"
because لكم دينكم ولي دين: has a meaning of threatening, not accepting other's religion.
4) Surat Al-Iklas and Surat Al-Kafiroon are gathered in many prayers, though we have to:
A- Consider them carefully.
B- Know that In Surat Al-Iklas: verbal Tawhid, and in Surat Al-Kafiroon: practical Tawhid. Muslim should apply both kinds.
C- Know that the negation in Surat Al-Kafiroon=لا إله, and the affirmation is in Surat Al-Iklas=إلا الله.
5) Allah call the disbelievers as (الكافرون) explicitly. But now a days some people feel ashamed of calling them with this word → so they call them (the other).