Interviewing Skills. Bridget Kenadjian. I. Before the Interview. A. Prepare an Infomercial 1) Past Work Experience/Key Accomplishments 2) Transferable Skills 3) Education/Professional Development 4) Current Status – What you offer now 5) Employment opportunities you are seeking.
A. Prepare an Infomercial
1) Past Work Experience/Key Accomplishments
2) Transferable Skills
3) Education/Professional Development
4) Current Status – What you offer now
5) Employment opportunities you are seeking
B. Anticipate 3 Types of Interview Questions
1) Fact Questions
2) Opinion Questions
3) Behavioral Questions
C. Commonly Asked Questions
1) Why should I hire you?/Tell me about yourself?
2) What are your strengths/weaknesses?
3) Why do you want to work for us?
4) Do you have any questions?
D. Develop Interesting Stories (STAR)
2) Task (problem to be solved)
3) Action (name possible solutions suggested)
4) Results (implemented/obtained)
E. Research the Employer
F. Prepare Your Interview Attire
G. Practice!! (InterviewStream, Mock
A. Be Ready for Varied Interview Styles
1) Non-Directed Conversational Interview
2) Board Interview
3) Stress Interview
4) Behavior-Based Interview
5) Series Interviews
6) Combined Writing/Verbal Interview
B. Present Yourself Confidently
1) Overcome Objections
2) Project Enthusiasm
3) Sell Your Skills
C. Use Active Listening Skills
D. Control the Content and Not the Interview
A. Get Business Cards/Contact Information on Interviewers
B. Jot Personal Notes about the Interview
C. Send Thank-you Notes/Letters
D. Follow-up Phone Call, when Appropriate