The Modern Middle East. Chapter 16 Section 4. Middle East. Middle East Religions and Ethnic Groups. Most people are Muslim There are also Christians, and Jews in Israel Most countries have large ethnic or religious minorities The Kurds are an example of an ethnic minority
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Israel has fought four wars against her Arab neighbors in 1948, 1956, 1967, 1973, and other minor conflicts since Israel declared statehood in 1948. In each war, Israel’s military has successfully defeated the Arab countries. The goal of the Arab countries is to destroy and wipe Israel off the map. Israel, since 1948, has concluded peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan. Insurgents (rebels) still launch rockets from the Gaza Strip and Syria.
Many Islamic countries make their laws based on Islamic doctrine and beliefs. These countries are secular (religious). Iran and Saudia Arabia are two examples of secular countries. These two countries are anti-democratic.
Nasser, the Egyptian leader, wanted to nationalize (control) the Suez Canal, a vital waterway that links the Mediterranean Sea with the Red Sea.
A radical Islamic cleric who became the leader of Iran following the Islamic Revolution and ouster of the Shah (king).
1. What is the dominant religion in the Middle East?
2. What two other religions originate and exist in the Middle East? (2 points)
3. What discriminated ethnic group resides in Iran, Iraq, Turkey, and Syria?
4. What was the U.N. plan in 1947 toward Palestine?
5. In what year did Israel proclaim itself a state?
6. What is a kibbutz?
7. What natural resource does the Middle East have?
8. Another word for non-religious is ???
9. What are Muslim women required to wear?
10. What body of water flows through Egypt?
11. Who was the Egyptian leader who wanted to nationalize the Suez Canal?
12. What Egyptian leader was assassinated by Muslim fundamentalists?
13. What is a theocracy? Explain.
14. What Iranian leader established a theocracy in Iran?
15. What country has the world’s largest oil reserves?