insid e . Arun Yenumula Singireddy Srikanth. January, 28 2004. Agenda. International Technology Roadmap for Semi-conductors Moore’s Law – the base for Intel What’s going on in Intel now Investing in future Focus of research Corporate Quickfacts.
January, 28 2004
SI Diamond Technology
International Mezzo Technologies Inc.
Nanophase Technologies Corporation
Carbon Nanotechnologies Inc.
Applied NanoWorks Inc.Pioneers in NanoTechnology
GORDON E. MOORE
Year of introduction Transistors
4004 1971 2,250
8008 1972 2,500
8080 1974 5,000
8086 1978 29,000
286 1982 120,000
386™ processor 1985 275,000
486™ DX processor 1989 1,180,000
Pentium® processor 1993 3,100,000
Pentium II processor 1997 7,500,000
Pentium III processor 1999 24,000,000
Pentium 4 processor 2000 42,000,000
Itanium 2 processor 2003 410 million
Right: Noisy image from a direct-write nano-machining tool, showing sub-micrometer silicon structures.
Left: De-noised real-time reconstruction of the image by nonlinear spatio-temporal filtering techniques.
Detection of a wire in noisy data.
Color: Noisy image of wire.
Grey: Estimated position based upon statistical model.
0.57 µm2 6-T SRAM Cell
65nm Logic Technology
• The 65 nm process incorporates key technology elements needed on high performance microprocessors, including strained silicon transistors and 8 layers of copper interconnect using a low-k dielectric.
0.46 x 1.24= 0.57 µm2
• Ultra-small SRAM cell used in 65 nm process packs six transistors in an area of 0.57 µm2
• Fully functional 4 Mbit SRAM arrays have been made with all bits working
• Approximately 10 million transistors could fit in the area of the tip of a ball point pen (1mm2).
Intel a world leader in advanced lithography…
– Leading edge capabilities
– Fast TPT (Throughput Time)
– Integrated services & solutions
– Mask cost advantage
• Intel has developed world leading 65nm node masks enabling Intel Silicon process development.
Above: profiles of line and space patterns imaged by the 10X camera for line and space widths of 200 nm, 150 nm, and 100 nm.
Side: cross-sectioned resist images of 80 nm lines and spaces (with a line space ratio of 1:2) taken by a 10X camera.
Intel is using cutting-edge state-of-the-art technologies to improve our lives in every way possible, from the chips we use in our computers to biotechnology…..It is truly doing a great job.
Andy S. Groove
Bob Noyce: Founder
Gordon Moore: Founder
Andy Groove: Employee#4