Biology Project. Title. To investigate the effect of temperature on enzymes activity in a solution with washing powder. Why we conduct this experiment?. One day,when we were watching TV,we saw a commercial of a washing powder.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
To investigate the effect of temperature on enzymes activity in a solution with washing powder.
2) Ions in the solution vibrate faster
3) Frequency of collision
4) Chance of forming the enzymes-substrate complex
Therefore, rate of reaction on the removal of milk increases as temperature increases.
By measuring the amount of light absorbance by the solution, we can know how much chocolate milk has gone to the solution.
1. Weigh 0.2g of washing powder by using electronic balance and dissolve them into 120 cm3 of water.
2. Then, boil the solution to denature the enzymes in the washing powder.
3. Measure 20 cm3 of solution to each of the hive boiling tubes.
1. Connect the colorimeter to the computer.
2. Calibrate the colorimeter by distilled water.
Preparation of cloth with chocolate milk
1. Cut 10 pieces of 2 cm*2 cm cloth, then soaked them into chocolate milk
2. Dry the cloth thoroughly.
1. Put one boiling tube with enzymes and one with denatured enzymes into a water bath of 0∘C.
2.Wait until the solution obtains the temperature of that of the water bath.
3. Measure the initial colour intensity of the solution of the experiment one and the control one by using the colorimeter.
4.Put the cloth in the tubes for 90 seconds.
5.Take the cloth out with a forceps and shake the solution inside the tubes gently.
6.Measure the final colour intensity of the solution.
7. Repeat the experiment in different temperature of water bath
color absorbance in the y-axis
= amount of dirt being removed
= the degree of effectiveness of the washing
(30C to 450C ) the washing ability of the cleaning powder with enzyme is higher than that without enzymes.
Cleaning ability of the washing powder is enhanced by the enzymes reaction.
The washing powder is most effective at 450C
= optimum temperature of the enzymes.
Effectiveness remains nearly the same in both graphs from 750C onwards because the enzymes has been denatured.
Margaret Chung (11)
Janice Mok (17)
Reiko Tse (22)
Connie Wong (25)
Emily Yum (31)